big wheels

hi, im rebuilding the 90 and wanna get some big tyres on her, iv cut out the rear arches to the level of the wheel wells for extra room and lifted it 2" but may go another 2 yet but the question is how big do you think i could go on tyres and still have a very usable offroader, currently im looking at 37" 13.50 r15's but honestly havent aclue if this would work.

You could fit 37" but it will effect your steering lock quite a bit, 35" are OK and that is what I run but to be honest I would say 33" x 12.5 x 15 are a good buy and with that your speedo will read just about spot on. It depends a lot on what you plan to use it for.

Anything bigger than standard and you're over-stressing the drivetrain, by how much depends how much bigger you go, the state of your truck, and your right foot.

Look at Nige's 90 (Hybrid_from_hell) for what can be made to fit without lifting etc., very neat job.

standard tyres give you a capable off road vehicle... Not wanting to sound like a spoil sport but 37 inch tyres and a 4 inch lift will raise your center of gravity a heck of alot, making your landy alot better at falling over.

Tyres with a wider off set to keep your steering lock acceptable will put more strain on wheel bearings, swivel joints ect ect ect which to me makes a less reliable and there for less capable land rover. Thats just my opinion.

I'd stick with a standard size - never been keen on the 'tonka toy' look and most people I know who've gone for lifts and oversize tyres have admitted that they lose out on performance and mpg.

That said I tend to replace the the standard 235 tyres with a 265 which is a bit wider but with the same overall height.

you can fit 33" rubber on with next to no mods, 255/85/16

its a good popular size and really does look good and is about as big as you can go without upsetting everything else and making the vehicle a pig.

Theres also 285/75/16's... Slightly wider and the same height and that is what i have on my 110.

Dad's 90 runs 255 85r16s on standard suspension. They fill the arches nicely and it handles well. I have used to 33 12.5 r15s but changed to 285s and a 2inch lift. My 90 now corners like it's on rails. The only reasons for the lift were that my suspension was very worn and to be able to fit some 35 inch simex tyres at a later date though