adwest steering drop arm

hi

I am trying to change my bottom seals on my sector shaft. I have tried all i can think of to get the drop arm off the bottom of the shaft, even broken a 2 legged-puller on it. does anyone have any good ways to get the drop arm off with less hassle.

I am sorry if this has already been talked about but i have spent the last hour trying to find a post about drop arms.

There's a bit in the tech archive http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=10088, have copied the relevant bit for your convenience

Now the hard bit - the drop arm has to come off the shaft, and usually a big puller is needed to do this. There are two lugs on the drop arm, and I have a long chrome vanadium bar with a tapered end on it. From inside the engine bay the rod reaches down to the top of the drop arm on the lugs, and then I belt it hard on alternate sides until the arm lets go. There's no other way to remove the arm apart from these two methods, using heat will damage the steering box seals, but if you are going to replace the whole arm then you can cut best of the way through it and then crack it with a chisel.

Anyway - after about 10 minutes, the arm comes loose. With the rubber boot removed, the corrosion can easily be seen.

med_gallery_2_214_439110.jpg

thanks for that i will give it another go in the morning. if i still cant do it i will wait until tuesday when i can get another puller but it will not be a hydraulic puller as they are a lot more money than i want to spend on a puller. i will keep you posted on how it goes.

You will never get it off without a decent hydraulic puller and even then will struggle-the steering box has needle roller bearings on the sector shaft-bare this in mInd when trying to hit the arm off. Best way is to remove the whole steering box and press the arm off with a decent hydraulic press at your local friendly engineering shop. Mine took 19ton of force when i did it in my 60ton press at work.

Don't knock drop arms off with a hammer and drift, it's possible to crack the sector shaft or damage internal bearings, neither of wich are immediately apparent. At the very least you will damage the lower bush as the shaft gets knocked sideways. This often leads to an (even bigger) oil leak.

A drop arm that's been properly torqued up will not come off with a couple of taps.

No need for Loctite anywhere if the right drop arm is correctly fitted and tightened. You realy do need a torque wrench, it's a lot tighter than most people think is tight with a Halfords breaker bar.

Adwest and Gemmer drop arms have a slightly different taper from each other, they'll fit on the wrong boxes but will not hold tight.

Thank you for all the help. In the end, I took the whole steering box off and used a screw driver inbetween the drop arm and the power steering box and kept hitting it alternatively as well as hitting the lugs on the side of the drope arm. Eventually the drope arm popped off so I can replace the seals which should arrive on tuesday. I also replaced the ball joint on the drop arm as this was an advisory on the last MOT. Unfortunately as I was hitting the drop arm I had the bottom of the sector shaft on some concrete :huh: so I will have to re tap the thread as this has been slightly damaged.