offside front driveshaft assembly AGAIN !!!

barriesheene

I need help guy's :( .I replaced the offside swivel ball about 4 weeks ago due to it being pitted and leaking. I ended up changing everything, hub, cv joint, wheel bearings etc etc as on reassembly there was a loud clicking noise as if the drive shaft was slipping teeth. Anyway It's lasted about four weeks and now its doing it again ???? This time its mainly if you try driving on full lock its as if the front wheel is trying to lock up then banging free. You can see the wheel shudder as it releases. Also I dont seem to have full lock. I've damaged the steering damper and its leaking oil so I'm going to remove that today and strip the driveshaft assembly out. Any idea's ??

I would check my wheel bearing (hub nut) tightness, if loose they can allow the CV joint to move more than it should, giving the clicking sound. Easy check of course, jack up, wheel off, drive flange off, fold down the locking washer and give loosen them off and retighten.

Britpart CVs seem to have a reasonable reputation, so don't worry too much about that :)

The lack of turning circle was the steering damper. The outer casing was fouling the piston. Can you drive the disco with the damper removed till i can get a new one ? All bearings seem fine with no play. About to remove drive shaft to see if there are any obvious issues with that. :( Really need the car for the weekend so here's hoping I can find out what it is . The fact it was fine in the straight ahead can rule out the diff surely ?

Sorry Ross. Drivers side is in bits now so cant check. Its always the week before a scout camp !! :angry2: . Going to order another cv joint but a diffrent make this time. I need it back on the road by sat. March it was changed so its lasted 2 months and I hardly use the car. Did do abit of offroading at ty rhiw farm on sunday but nothing extreme.

Cool. Thanks Bowie. Hope this cv joint does the trick. The steering damper is going to get clouted everytime i take it off road cos it hangs down from behind the axle slightly. Is there a solution to this or shall i just remove it before offroading ?