Aircon belt replacement

SPendrey

Hello,

Last week the Aircon made a lovely squealing noise, but only for a few seconds, then went quiet. The next day the belt gave up and took the auxiliary belt with it! No problem as I always carry a spare aux belt. Anyway, to the point...

I bought 2 x ERR2215R (Bearmach) replacement A/C belts only to find they're so tight to fit that I gave up! They are 4PK1322, which looks like the correct length according to a few sites, but it is shorter than the original on my '95 300TDi. So, any idea why the shorter length is used? Also any idea what the original length was, the old belt is so shredded there we no markings to be found.

Thanks,

Scott

Silly question but have you fully loosened the A/C belt tensioner? The three bolts need to be fully backed off before the new belt will fit, and yes, if the A/C belt goes it invariably takes the main belt with it, when mine went it also tore out the cables to the electro-magnetic clutch causing me expecnce to buy a second hand compressor :angry2:

2 x ERR2215R (Bearmach) replacement A/C belts only to find they're so tight to fit that I gave up! They are 4PK1322

Well I've looked at the one in our stock drawer, ans it's an ERR2215 marked 4pk1325

Niamh

Thanks Niamm, I guess the 3mm isn't going to make much difference, but maybe just enough to pop over the edges of the pulley. Anyway, still much shorter than the previous belt on there. Cheers.

Which is the idler pulley? The 1322 length would fit without slack if I could only get it over the edges of the pulleys! I found out the Australian spec Disco uses a 1360 length belt, so I'm going to get one of those and allow the tensioner to take up the slack. No idea why the normal belt doesn't fit, but there we go!

Which is why I pose the problem... I just can't get the belt over the edges (the raised lips if you like?) of any of the pulleys when it is in placed on all the others. It certainly sounds like 1322 is the right length, so maybe there's a 'technique' for getting it over that last edge and onto the pulley. I may also look for a 1330 (or something similar) to resolve the issue and use the tensioner to take up the slack.

I've not tried an aircon belt, however when fitting tight belts I put it onto the largest pulley last (although for convenience I would in this case put it over the aircon pulley last). Once belt is around all other pulleys get it as far around the last pulley as you can and then turn the pulley (and mpossibly the engine) and it should pull itself on.

This might work for you, apologies if you have already tried this.

I guess that's the lower small pulley? I thought I'd try that, but couldn't get it to move off the centre pin/bolt. Anyway, as the head gasket is now gone (I think), I have Mr Les Henson visiting this week, I'm sure between us we'll manage to get it back on somehow! Fingers crossed.

Yep, that's the one. I'm sure between yourself and Les you'll work it out :) I was looking at the parts diagram the other week and I'm fairly certain that it's just bolted into one of the normal timing case cover holes....

Btw do you think your head gasket went due to the aircon belt breaking the serpentine belt thus leaving no water pump?

No, I don't think so. I suspect this is something that's been just creeping up on me! When the aircon belt went I was about 200 yds from a safe place to pull over, and the engine had been running for all of 2-3 mins, so not hot. I placed a spare on there which kept the water pumping round for the 2 miles home. It had then been running fine since, so as I said I think this is just age and load at the time (caravan in Exmoor).

I am pleased to report I wasn't going mad... Les agreed with me, the belts are too short. However, we can't find a valid reason why?! So now I need to find someone selling 4PK1330 or thereabouts, I did buy a 1368, but that's way too long.