Can anyone help with rounded caliper bolts??

SharkyMarc

9/16" ring spanner and a hammer, if they are a little corroded use a 14mm spanner (very slightly smaller) and tap the ring of the spanner in place.

You won't get a socket on, not enough room to the ball. :)

If you can, find a long spanner, I have an old King Dick 9/16 which I inherited from my dad, just tried to find a stockist on the web. Word of warning, DO NOT type King Dick into a search engine, for the love of God.......

THEY WORKED!! Incredible bit of kit those irwins, I used some heat first and then the 14mm socket hammered on hard, and they came straight out!

Thanks for everyone's help on this, highly recommend the irwins if you don't have a set!

No onto the rather nasty bearings :)

Hello ,I foresaw this probllem and decided to buy some new caliper mounting bolts (rear ). What really supprised me was how much they were .

Land Rover Wakrfield £ 6.20 each

Brookwells Plymouth £ 4.27 each .

I eventually found them at Padocks £1.08 for 4 ,washers £ 3.28 for 4 .

Total £ 8.84 supplied by Royal mail .

I cannot help with how to remove your bolts only to suggest a long soak in a release agent.

The part no is BRKFTC3375.

I was walking past a stall at Driffield show and spied this pair of almost new callipers at £ 10 each = upgrade .

post-36830-0-97850900-1339498171_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-49901000-1339498212_thumb.jpg

THEY WORKED!! Incredible bit of kit those irwins, I used some heat first and then the 14mm socket hammered on hard, and they came straight out!

Thanks for everyone's help on this, highly recommend the irwins if you don't have a set!

No onto the rather nasty bearings :)

The Irwins are worth every penny they've got me out of a couple of sticky situations I can't recommend them highly enough. If your after a set there was someone on E bay selling them for about 40 quid a set a couple of weeks back, When I got mine the cheapest were on Amazon but I had to buy the base set and the add on set from different sellers, there's sometimes two different add on sets advertised it's the same set in different packaging so don't end up more for packaging

They're called "Triple-swuare" or "XZN" heads. Often also found on things like big-end/main-bearing caps.See http://www.brimarc.c...rews-855568.htm

Would we need a 13mm one of these? They run up to 12mm in your link and then there is a gap. I've had a search for single 13mm sockets, but the only place i've found 13mm ones is as part of a set (rather not buy a set as the caliper bolts are the only place i'd want to use it).

So I received my set of Irwins and tried them today....hammered them gently on, they gripped perfectly, I gently heated the bit of the hub wit the threaded holes were, applied a bit of torque, and it slipped...rounding off the bolt. Bu*****! Very round in fact.

What to do? First thought was to split the caliper so I could get to the other side of the hub. This I did. Had to pack up for the day so I left the upside down with yet more penetrating lube soaking into the threads on. All suggestions gratefully received. Maybe angry-grind a slot into the bolt for a large flat screwdriver?

I've also ordered a set of 12-point sockets (couldn't find any 'triple square' or XZNs in 'female' form).

Before i used my irwin extractor i had roughed up the edge of the stuck caliper bolt with a chisel (previous attempt to remove the bolt). I think the rough edge helped the Irwin bite on. Failing that, there is enough space to get a small file in there so you can get the head down so that the 12mm Irwin fits. A small Dremel cutting disc might also help with this.

Dont be afraid to hammer the irwin on a little more perhaps...

Agreed with the "hammer a little more" comment... after all, the teeth inside the Irwin will strip off remaining lumps and bumps if it isn't a tight fit. They need to bite in pretty well, and remember (as I didn't the last time) which way to turn! I know it sounds daft, but I was sat on the 'outside' of the caliper with the ratchet inside (where the bolt is). It took me ages to figure out which way to go! :blush:

• 2 years later...

They're called "Triple-swuare" or "XZN" heads. Often also found on things like big-end/main-bearing caps.See http://www.brimarc.com/products/Proxxon-12-Sockets-for-XZN-Screws-855568.htm

YES! YES! YES! Thank you Tanuki - at long last I have found the official info for these blasted bolts.

I'm an engineer by profession so a statement like "it's a 12 point" is incomplete. Brilliant. Much appreciated.