Argyle forest challenge

marsie

Congratulations to Butplug (sp?) and Bryn!

I’m so glad you won putting a stop to Willy and Justin’s chance of a hat-trick.

Got in at 3am, just woken up, need more sleep!

Jim, Bren, Simon and I had an eventful challenge, Saturday went reasonably well with 5 sections completed which put us equal first with 4 or 5 others at the end of day one. Jim got a puncture in the second section. We both had a problem with lack of battery/alternator in the morning and come the end of section 3 both winches were not giving their best. We took the compulsory lunch break then drove back to base and changed my twin motor 8274 back to single motor to ease the load on the batteries, Jim stuck with his twin motor set-up as he had his free-spool so was not suffering as much as I was. This cost us and hour!

In the afternoon we squeezed in 2 more sections.

Sunday we were all fired up and ready to give it our best. Drop into section 10 and Jim had a winch solenoid go down, no problem as I was now only using one on the front winch so a quick swap and 15 min later we were running again.

The next section was our downfall. I had problems getting between two trees and we ended up lifting the rear of Piggy vertically with the rear winch to allow the back to swing round while pulling with the front winch. We dragged both cars through the 90 degree turns between the trees to get to the punch which was a steep winch up a rock face with no trees to anchor to. Long strop round a rock, extension rope to Jim’s ground anchor to get the right line for the pull and all the rope off the drum and I got the punch. Jim was set to winch to the punch but the ground anchor broke and as he dropped back the snatch on the rope striped the teeth off the gear which is driven by the motors (we think, he has yet to investigate).

So there we are in the middle of a section with no front winch on Jim’s motor, he was not going to get the punch so we took the ½ point. All we had to do was get both cars out of the section.

What a nightmare! Tight turns in the trees and bogs large enough to swallow Hampshire we finally got out at 2.45pm, the event finished at 4.30 and Jim had no front winch. Game over so we went to control, had a cup of tea, reckoned we had managed 4th or 5th and went back to the camp site to pack up and head home as we had a long drive. As we left the campsite there was a phone call and we were informed we came third! Total shock as we only got 1 ½ sections on day two.

In hindsight we should have passed on section 11 but it’s easy to say after the event.

The Argyll IS the toughest event, the number of winch failures and vehicle breakage’s confirms that. My only criticism would be quantity of bogs and mud runs we had to drag the vehicles through, that time would be better spent with technical winching and driving.

Thanks to the Argyll team of organisers and marshals for laying on a cracking event.

I’ll be there next year!

Congratulations to Butplug (sp?) and Bryn!

Thanks old timer must agree great event :D

Like you had problems mainly with teams in the way got stuck behind Cheviot for 2 hrs & had to help them out of the section {good blokes though we had a laugh} .

blew my front winch sataurday lunch time so had no winch pm .temporary fixed it sat night & it lasted until about 2.00pm Sunday {good job we didnt need the winch as much as some teams :ph34r: }

Finished 4.30 Sataurday as section 14 {the one no-one drove last year or no-one else this year :D } was our next & as we dont go around ANY section we new we wouldnt be able to complete in time so we returned to base ready to start 14 on Sunday !!!!

Well F**K me sideways what a section it must of been about 1 km long half of it was up a rock face & gully & the other half a nearly vertical 400 m winch down with rock steps .

In the middle was what i could inly discribe as a V-Gully on its side in granite on a 45 degree slope with a 10ft drop into it.{post some piccys later }

I spent so long on the nose of the truck that the pistons filled with oil & when i drove out of it we had to remove the plugs & clean the oil off !

Well that section took 2 1/2 hrs {PLUS WHAT thwack RAN OUT OF FUEL :unsure: } but it was the best section i have ever done & made the trip to Argyll worth it that alone :D

Section 10 we got a warning from the marshal a bit tongue in cheak because by the time he had driven to the exit we had completed it & were on the way to 11 B) lucking another marshal saw us drive it ! 10 minutes the quickest section of the weakend for us . But we did leave a few ruts :D:P:P Sorry guys.

Got stuck in section 18 behind another team but not for too long the only problem was they stopped the momentum & had to slow down thenm we grounded out & had to winch the last 200m.

Anyway it shows pauls right i guess you do need to complete it to win it ! the 1st we completed we won ,who knows next time we might finish again!!!!!!

Thanks to the Argyll team of organisers and marshals for laying on a cracking event.

I’ll be there next year!

Well big congrats to Pete, can't do better than come first, but bl**dy good effort by the others. Looking at the pics it was certianly tough.

But Pete, after winning you still going portal or going to stick with those 101s?

Well big congrats to Pete, can't do better than come first, but bl**dy good effort by the others. Looking at the pics it was certianly tough.

But Pete, after winning you still going portal or going to stick with those 101s?

Ill leave 101 on this truck .

But the new one will run Portal Tec & 44 Boggers .Wont get portals on my truck & still fit & perform how i would like ;)

I very much enjoyed the event. A shame about my truck breaking down a few times (I sheared a key of my pto winch, and I ripped a valve out of my wheels on 3 occasions). But as an event, I liked it very much.

Thanks to richard and his team, Hope to see you back next year.

Daan

I very much enjoyed the event. A shame about my truck breaking down a few times (I sheared a key of my pto winch, and I ripped a valve out of my wheels on 3 occasions). But as an event, I liked it very much.

Thanks to richard and his team, Hope to see you back next year.

Daan

Hi Daan,

Good talking with you. Next time a wil have "stroopwafels"with me. Sorry didn't see you anymore at al. when we came out on sunday everybody was already gone back home.

Sounds like the double motor'ed 8274's were having some problems.

Anyone know whether it's something common failing on all of them?

As far as I'm aware there is not any single problem with them, other than as you increase the load on both the mechanics & electrics, you increase the probability of teething trouble.

I think the problems were exhibited by setups which were running 12v motors on 24v - giving in total 36Hp/25Kw. - or over 1000 Amps at 24v

You can see that the electrics at least might need a bit of beefing up!

Most people running a pair of motors on the correct voltage will not have problems.

Si

how did you get to 25kW Si? my brains on dimwit setting today

When you over volt, for double the voltage you get 1/2 the square of the power. 6hp x 6hp x 0.5 = 18hp per motor = 36hp in total.

1 Hp is about 700w, so 36 x 0.7 = 25.2kw

Si

When you over volt, for double the voltage you get 1/2 the square of the power. 6hp x 6hp x 0.5 = 18hp per motor = 36hp in total.

1 Hp is about 700w, so 36 x 0.7 = 25.2kw

Si

ahh 746watts/hp :P

is that power consumed or workrate of motor? I'd guess it would vary dependant on manufacturer? (its always bugged me this one)

ahh 746watts/hp :P

is that power consumed or workrate of motor? I'd guess it would vary dependant on manufacturer? (its always bugged me this one)

Power is good......almost needed it to pull the winch bitches out of the mud, never mind dragging the vehicles through.

To train for the Argyll - take one swimming pool, fill with treacle and rocks. Winch bitch should train by trying to run up and down pool for 6 hours at as time. For added reality, get a driver to sit at the side and shout. Clearly this will be tiring for hte poor driver so you may need a relay of them to take turns, poor luvs.

I thought it was 745.7 based on UK horsepower, or 735.4988w based on DIN measurements <_<

still intreagued if its based on power consumed or work done :unsure:

700 is good enough for the purposes of a discussion like this :)

The power is almost invarably the power consumed - as it gives you a better idea how to rate the electrics you're going to use to drive it. As the efficiency of a series wound motor is so variable depending upon load (0% at stall up to a peak of about 75%), quoting the power output is less than useful.

More generally you quote stall torque and max speed which at least give you something reasonably concrete to work with and wont get bitten too badly in the bum if you assume a straight line on the graph between max torque, zero speed and max speed, zero torque.

Si