300tdi cooking up?

Hi folks.

Got a bit of a problem with my 300, it keeps trying to over heat when it's being worked hard i.e up steep hills, pulling a trailer or just being pushed on A roads.

The cam belt snapped a few months ago, so took the head off to check. The valves seemed fine and head looked straight (it hadn't over heated).

Put a new gasket on, push rods, belt, tensioner etc.

Noticed that it was trying to over heat, so thought thermostat. Took it out and now it just takes a bit longer to over heat!

Not losing any coolant but do seem to be losing some oil through the breather pipe (and the front crank seal which i replaced :blush:) so wondering if oil pressure is up.

Any body got any ideas what I've done wrong or what to check?

Check the condition of the radiator and have a look to see if the fins on the cores are still there. If they are corroded then you will probably stay at a good temperature when just driving and pottering about but putting it under load will make the heat rise.

It could also be a blockage on the radiator or pipework.

Hi just a thought.

I had the impeller on my 300 water pump come loose. It was turning on the post and not circulating the water. It caused very similar problems.

It maybe worth while raising the header tank when bleeding the system first.!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

If it's advanced to the point of overheating then it'd sound horrible - so unless it sounds more "diesely" than usual, don't worry.

For reference though - take off the cover plate over the injection pump sprocket, rotate to No 1 TDC and lock the injection pump with a 9.5mm drill bit. Loosen the 3 x bolts on the injection pump sprocket, and rotate engine clockwise/anticlockwise to retard/advance timing. Tighten 3x bolts, remove drill bit. Start engine and check. Replace cover. If it goes a bit wrong and doesn't start/is smoky etc, then you'll have to remove the timing cover and check with the timing marks on the cam and crank sprocket.