clicking 5th gear and engine warning lights

Hi, ive just returned from a camping trip in Keswick and the 110 conked out on the A66 about 15 miles after setting off. The engine warning light illuminated and the engine went into what lookes like a engine protection mode and allowerd me to crawl to a laybay. I had a good look over the block and couldnt see any issues. I restared the car and the light went out on key start as normal....It has done this once befopre about 4 months ago and the same occured......any thought?

On a separate note i've noticed that when i drop from 5th gear into neutral before going for a further gear i get a click or sparking sound that i dont get on any other area of the gear box......any ideas?

Ever grateful....

The click is normal, there's a gate between 5th gear and reverse so that you can't try to shift from 5th to reverse (looking for a 6th gear that isn't there). The click is just that gate dropping back into place.

Sorry no idea about the other fault. Have you had it plugged in for diagnostics? If it went into limp mode it should have stored a fault.

To prove it to yourself leave the key out of the ignition or even disconnect the battery and then go through the motions of changing down from 5th ..... the click will still be there :) It took me months to first notice it ......