Ultrasound thickness testers?

soutie

I am in the process of stripping my 110 down to the chassis and rebuilding her. Is it worth using an ultrasound thickness tester to check what state the chassis is in to make an educated guess whether to repair her and get it galvanized or replace her?

Peter

Hi Peter,

If you are Intending to keep the 110 and have any doubts as to the structural integrity of your chassis then why not get it replaced with a galvanised one?.

John

2p = don't think that the ultrasonic tester will provide the exacting answer you are looking for...

I am no expert, but I would think that it would be affected by any surface corrosion as to its accuracy. Presuming that the chassis is showing signs of corrosion (flaky metal / paint), then even if you exterior surface clean with a wire brush, how will you do the same inside, I suspect that the accuracy of the gauge / meter will be affected if there is anything flaky inside, also it may be affected by moisture, if the chassis has mud internally, ant therefore a good rust trap, the mud will hold moisture, the moisture may become ionised and therefore affect the accuracy of your readings.....

You also need to consider that I think that there is internal bracing in certain places within the chassis, this will affect the reading that the instrument reads (I think if you look at the instructions on the instrument, it will tell you how far you need to avoid corners and the like).

As far as I am aware, it is a case of visual inspection, wire brushing the outside, searching for any holes and the hammer test (not using the MOT testers hammer as I've seen this said elsewhere that the chassis of a landrover is a little thicker than your average run of the mill monocoque car chassis in for an MOT inspection)