200tdi Defender blowing oil back past the filler cap

Hi there guys, need some help :(

My 200tdi Genuine Defender engine has now started to blow oil back past the oil filler cap. Its also running hot. Pulls like a train still though.

Put my hand over the hole and it feels more like its sucking than blowing? Although it covers my hand in wet black oil.

Any ideas as to the cause?

Ive been told its likely the piston rings are shot?

Valves and seats have also been suggested although i think their break-down of seal would be less sudden and more gradual than this? This leak of oil has come on rather suddenly.

Im thinking of removing the sump, the webbing, oil pump, undo con rod ends, remove head, remove pistons, replace piston rings, replace con rod shells and refit. Also skim head(maybe) grind valves, new stem seals, new headgasket and rebuild....

Any advice/opinions are welcome.

Many thanks,

Bear.

Can you hear a chuffing niuse when the oil filler cap is removed? I'm guessing head gasket between #4 and an oil way.

Alternatively - piston or rings and possibly bores as well.

I'd have the head off for a look before going any further. Either way if the symptoms have come on quickly there is obviously something wrong which if left could seriously damage your engine.

Dave.

have a look at the excessive crankcase pressure column, on the fault chart attached, has the cyclonic breather been cleaned ? if not do that first.

Thanks, the cyclonic breather hasnt been cleaned but if theres that much pressure thats trying to get out the crankcase there must be a deeper problem than just a blocked up tube or cyclonic jobbie?? Besides it was fast onset and the cyclonic breather wont block up quick.

Can you hear a chuffing niuse when the oil filler cap is removed? I'm guessing head gasket between #4 and an oil way.

Alternatively - piston or rings and possibly bores as well.

I'd have the head off for a look before going any further. Either way if the symptoms have come on quickly there is obviously something wrong which if left could seriously damage your engine.

Dave.

Thanks, will listen for this chuffing noise tomorrow.I agree with whipping the head off first to look for failures before dropping the bottom end. i also think the 200+ miles will be done with the AA :(

to remove the crank or ladder frame from bottom of the block is a engine out job on a 200tdi.

I know u cant do the crank shells with the engine in but i thought you could get the ladder frame off with the engine still in to do the con rod shells.

Thanks all.

As Poohbear says this is highly likely to be a blown head gasket between No. 4 cyl and a pushrod chamber. Very common on 200tdi. Head off, reskim, new gasket, back together and all good. Did one with these symptoms 2 years ago and still going strong. Was another post on here with same symptoms a couple of months back. Was the same problem....

As Poohbear says this is highly likely to be a blown head gasket between No. 4 cyl and a pushrod chamber. Very common on 200tdi. Head off, reskim, new gasket, back together and all good. Did one with these symptoms 2 years ago and still going strong. Was another post on here with same symptoms a couple of months back. Was the same problem....

Would this also cause it to run hot? Cheers.

Well the head is coming off this weekend. Ive found a company in telford that will pressure test, skim and do the valves for 50 quid. Having sump n ladder frame off too to get at the con rods and doing piston rings and big end shells at the same. So its getting rebuilt at a mates house near uni before diving home for the summer :) Parts are costing me £75 including all the disturbed gaskets and seals from John Richards Land Rover Surplus just down the road from harper and thats for allmakes and genuine parts NOT britpart!!

Will post up some pics so u can see what damage there is when i strip n rebuild.

Bear.

i thought you could get the ladder frame off with the engine still in to do the con rod shells.

there are bolts horizontally into ladder frame from the clutch housing, these must be removed to remove ladder frame from engine [Defender 200tdi]

ladder frame on both variants has the same part number, so the threaded holes will be there. I haven't got a Discovery 200tdi workshop manual, so unable to check further.

ok well the disco 200tdi doesnt have any horizontal bolts, no doubt, but not sure about defender 200tdi though. havent looked yet.

As for the oil problem, took the rocker off, ran it and it was spraying oil like a fountain from around the two push rods for cylinder number 4? what does this mean. Took the head off and cant really see any head gasket damage. Maybe a split in the head?

But what would cause this spitting fountain of oil from around the rear 2 push rods??

Having the head pressure tested tomoz, if its ok skimmed, valves ground, decarboned, valve stems done etc. got quoted £100 for that lot. Seem ok? basically reconning the head... but only if the head itself is ok.

Just please can anyone suggest why this fountain of oil??? N where its coming from????

Cheers.