Galv or Paint

hi, big dilema today, iv left my chassis and bulkhead galvanised and this was how its gona stay but i dont know how plopplops the galv will look after a few years of weathering, the question is do i paint it then be unhappy that i no longer have the galv look or leave it.

whats everyones opinion on galv or paint look ??

Look at an old series bumper, that will give you a clue, but also don't forget that thieving scum are on to the whole galv chassis thing, so if its painted up its less obvious. a friend caught some poeple looking under his 110 a few days ago, he's had to drop a new galv chassis on it, but has left the old tatty bodywork on...they knew what they were looking for...

Short of a full strip down you aren't going to manage to paint everywhere though (I know you have just rebuilt your 88"). I assume one of the reasons that a galv'd truck is more likely to get knicked is that most of the parts will be in good condition and it's likely to have been looked after ...... same could also be said for your 88" even though it's not galv'd ......

Anyway the point I was trying to make was I'm sure thieves can tell a good truck from a bad one whether the chassis is plain galv'd or painted ..... so just do what you like the look of, either way it will look like a cared for truck and as such it will be attractive to thieves.

Whatever you do, don’t take the lazy option of ‘Hammerite Direct to Galvanized’ paint – chips even worse than normal Hammerite and looks awful after a very short period.

Either; paint properly (mordant T-wash, prime, paint) or leave bare. Personally, if I had a workshop/barn or some other means to keep my chassis out of view whilst rebuilding it, I’d be tempted to leave it unpainted whilst the reassembly is happening, and maybe paint the back of the rear X-member to deter the casual pikey. As EJP says, the more knowledgeable pikey will see through the painted galv-chassis ruse anyway.

The above only applies to a chassis of course. A bulkhead you pretty much need to paint or it will look w-h-eird.

The jury is out on painting galv cappings…

If you want to hide the fact that it has a galv chassis, waxoyl would probably be the quickest way of doing it. Wouldnt need a particulary thick coat to give a reasonable looking finish and looks like every other landy chassis thats been waxoyled after a few days weathering.

Paint the rear crossmember though as you get waxoyl all over yourself when you lean against it otherwise!

The jury is out on painting galv cappings…

I know what you mean. My 90 currently has bare galv cappings, and I have to admit I quite like the look. Being a van back it's a big slab of grey bodywork otherwise, and they break it up nicely.

Might leave them bare :)

My twopence: If the chassis isn't separated from the body, don't paint - doing it properly with the body attached would be a pig to do. Galvanised metal ages well in my opinion. I'm in the process of changing my chassis to a galvanised on (see link in signature) and I have just mordant t-washed, etch primed, top coated with Jotun conceal and then waxoyled.

My 90 has a galv chassis and bulkhead, bumper, and rock sliders and cappings, silver alloy wheels , its painted metallic grey ( 2 shades) and looks quite presentable , if it was rioja red or some such then might be a different matter JMHO

If your landy looks tidy and vulnerable then its a target , dont think a galv chassis is a big factor in the thought processes( if thats the name for it ) of thieves JMHO

Out of curiosity why did you waxoyle on top of all that? Is it to disguise it?

I didn't want the new galv chassis on show (and I had a day waiting on spares, so I was otherwise idle). The jotun looks like it is a good, thick, black paint and the waxoyle was just the braces to the jotun's belt.

ooh waxoyl, not for me, way too sticky, i for some stupid reason covered the bottom of the seatbox in it and it ended up taking me all day and a big bottle o white spirit to get it off. Now got it coated in schutz and am well impressed wi the finish, so impressed i kept goin and did the bottom and the inner arches of the tub and the floor panels, now iv got a nice tough rubbery finish wi no stickiness. Spot on!!