200tdi or 3.9 v8

Ben Spray

Hi All

So I have an early 1962 series 2a that Im rebuilding and want to change the engine, I have a 200tdi in known good condition and also a 3.9 v8 in unknown condition (currently efi but I also have a weber 4 barrel carb sitting here)..... how long is the gearbox likely to last in each case driven sensibly? which is likely to be the better conversion for a bit of general green lane and club run type use (Id love the sound of the v8 etc but the fuel economy and general lack of hassle draws me to the Tdi but how loud is it likely to be in a series vehicle?!

ease and cost of conversion of each? bearing in mind Id have the spare engon to sell to fund the conversion?

etc

etc?

Or perhaps even rebuild / restore the 2.25?! although its not the original one anyway :-(

Cheers

Ben

which 200TDi? either Def or Disco require the offside chassis enigne mount being cut off and a new one fabricated, Disco TDi won't fit in from what I have been told unless you heavily scollop the nearside chassis rail due to the manifolds trying to be where the chassis is.

What engine is in it at present? if diesel then TDi on the wiring and fuel lines makes sense, but if petrol at the moment then your wiring will be focused more towards the V8.

Gearbox wise, it will last well with either engine giving sympathy on the go go peddle, Rogue Trooper has not killed his yet with a 3.5V8, and HillbillyRebel has not managed to totally kill his yet with a 200TDi, many thousands of miles touring to Italy and back (including up and down the Alpine tracks), and being known as "throttle Merchant" for a particular reason ;) synchro's aint too good now but it's still going

V8 fitting wise, keep an eye on the Series forum and you'll start seeing more of my conversion topics coming up as I get them made, already done the flywheel mod. topic, as well as the illusive spigot bush that people say you need (unless your fitting in an LT77 at the same time and you don't need it then)

Hi its a Disco 200tdi, I believe (could be wrong) that you only have chassis clearance issues with the 109 (mines an 88) due to the deeper rails..

its a 2.25 petrol engine at the moment although im not sure what its out of (maybe something like p4 - its quite an early engine number so might be worth more to someone with the correct vehicle!?) as its engine number is 74500060a??? its a good engine though but seemed a shame to have a 200tdi and a v8 sitting there as well :-)

Cheers

Ben

deeper chasis rails, having never had a 88 apart I can't comment on that, but I was always of the thought that the front end was the same between the two? hopefully someone else with SWB knowledge will come along and comment on that :)

IIRC the disco has the same bolt pattern as the Series so the engine should mate upto the Series Gbox nay problem, if not it means you'll have to track a Def rear clutch housing to swap over to get the LT77 short bell housing bolt pattern that definately does mate to a Series Gbox.

If you don't mind cutting the chassis and a bit of welding, and adding in some fuel returns to the tank then I'd recommend TDi. But I went V8 as I had no intention of cutting the chassis for any engine :):rolleyes:

Cool thanks, I think Tdi would be the best option (I was kinda heading that way but the V8 was just teasing me - lol) as you say simply as I know the engine (I rebuilt the top end on the tdi 8k ago so thats still good :-)

if anone esle has swb knowledge that they could share (ive found a few posts on other sites now as well but if anyone has any helpful links?)

Cheers so far Minivin :-)

B

The disco engine dosent require any chassis cutting as the injector pump is higher up, but the exhaust down pipe requires alot more thought. as well as the removal of the power steering pump (if you need to).

Theres a conversion on ORRP done by Global head usign a disco engine. that will give you a good idea. i will put a link when i can get the page up.

it might also be worth talking to a guy called swops. he fitted a def 200tdi into a 88. from what i can remember the major noise comes from the wosh of the turbo and not the clang that you woudl expect.

steve parker does an exhasut conversion for a disco engine into a def. but have yet to see if its usable ona series. and to be honest it looks like its been hit by weld icing. if you have the facitlites you could fab your own. look in the tech archieve for the conversions into a 90 and you will see, i think its les's shiney bling bling stainless down pipe.

ah ha sounds like the same noise I get in my 200tdi converted 101 then :-) I bought one of those engine covers that the 300tdi has the other day and that has made a bit of a difference (I wasnt convinced at first but thought anything has to help when youre basically sitting next tot he engine!) to the diesel knock but need to do something about the turbo noise still....

Glad I dont have to cut the chassis, I had a look on ORRP and found some info looks like all I have to cut is the front panel a bit (and by the looks of things the battery tray?) to fit the rad and intercooler etc... but at least the chassis and bulkhead stay standard

I think making up a custom downpipe is possibly a bit beyond my welding skills at the moment but hey I could try :-)

I emailed steve parker about using one of their pipes in a series and yet to hear back...

Cheers

Ben

Unless you are an ever so gentle driver, IMO you will be setting yourself up for a lot of grief if you retain the series gearbox with either the 200 tdi or V8 engine. It doesn't take much effort to break the dog ring off second gear with a bit of extra torque on a wet road. The layshaft and mainshaft flex like crazy under load with a bigger engine and shaft failure is very common.

I really don't know what your options in the UK are in a swb. Over here we have the choice of a few heavy duty light truck gearboxes that are cheap to buy and adapt quite easily to series transfercases, without the transmission being more than a couple of inches longer than the standard series transmission.

Bill.

Ok cheers all, so to follow on from this Ive decided 200tdi is the way to go, but what about the gearbox side of things..?!

I want to keep the thing looking as original as poss really but love Tonks method of using an LT77 on a series transfer case - hoping that perhaps Tonk will come along and offer some advice maybe, perhaps etc??? :D

Whats involved, I dont have that sort of engineering ability / equipment etc as Tonk to just make an adapter so is there anyway I can buy one from somewhere, what else is involved with the transfer levers etc??

Cheers

Ben

Ashcrofts used to make a kit to mate lt77 to a series t/box, alas no more which is why we made our own.

they do however make a kit which makes the lt230 switchable 2 to 4wd, fridgefreezer has this kit so he's probably better to inform than me

ok cool thanks...

dont really want to go LT230 as I want to keep the old school red and yellow levers :-)

I guess its not something you would fancy making for the right amount of beer tokens then :D or maybe give me some pointers if its something I could get a local engineering place to make up???

Cheers

Ben

I'd vote for V8 :D had 3.9 V8 in my 109 for a few years variously with Holley 390, then Weber 500, then Lucas EFi, then MegaSquirt... the gearbox then got sold about a year ago to someone who abused it silly and it's now been sold again to a guy who's beating the life out of it behind another V8. It was making nasty noises from day 1 so god knows how it's still alive.

Oh and the LT230 2WD kit fitting guide is here:

Clicky

Photos seem to have drifted out of order since I switched servers :unsure:

Once you've seen the kit you'll see why I reckon it's a far cheaper bet to weld up the rear output shaft and source a bearing/bushing for the front one than pay £150 for the kit (complete with useless free wheeling hubs).

if u were to use lt230 i'd see no point running a 2wd conversion - simply fit cvs on the front axle (or a stage1v8 axle) and run it permenant 4x4

if it was me, i'd use 200tdi + lt77+ lt230 in the firstplace to save any future problems - it will fail otherwise and sods law states it'll do it miles from anywhere at the worst possible time!