r380 leak

windrover

after my r380 gearbox rebuild, it appears that there is a leak of gearbox fluid from between the output shaft and the seal...new collar and new seal. replaced the seal but it still leaks. the shaft appears to turn straight, no play in the bearing. interestingly it doesn't leak while it is turning, but only after it stops. any ideas? thx, Ken

• 5 years later...

Windrover, it may be a wear groove on the shaft, a seal damaged during installation, an incorrect seal, or a poor quality part.  If it came in a blue bag, I'd be surprised if you still have any oil left at all.

Panther,you need to provide far more detail about the location of the leak and the location, nature and trigger of the noise.

3 minutes ago, Arjan said:

This is why I bite the bullet and get rebuild ones from from to us know good quality builder..

Bon Courage

Unfortunately, some have earned good reputations and now rest on past laurels, doing lower quality work than the business image and reputation suggests.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2012 at 3:50 PM, windrover said:

after my r380 gearbox rebuild, it appears that there is a leak of gearbox fluid from between the output shaft and the seal...new collar and new seal. replaced the seal but it still leaks. the shaft appears to turn straight, no play in the bearing. interestingly it doesn't leak while it is turning, but only after it stops. any ideas? thx, Ken

Hi,

who was the collar from ?

about 2 years ago we had some leaks which we found to be due to the poor surface finish on the collars so we now make our own with a much better surface finish,

another area they can leak from is the oil pump, (often misdiagnosed as the mainsheet seal above) sometimes down the pump screws, sometimes around the outer O ring (can get cut if the pump does not go in true) and also sometimes from the gasket under the steel cover, always fit new, note the britpart pumps are good but the gaskets that come with them are not, we change them,

Dave

59 minutes ago, ashtrans said:

Hi,

who was the collar from ?

about 2 years ago we had some leaks which we found to be due to the poor surface finish on the collars so we now make our own with a much better surface finish,

another area they can leak from is the oil pump, (often misdiagnosed as the mainsheet seal above) sometimes down the pump screws, sometimes around the outer O ring (can get cut if the pump does not go in true) and also sometimes from the gasket under the steel cover, always fit new, note the britpart pumps are good but the gaskets that come with them are not, we change them,

Dave

Can you elaborate on the oil pump bit Dave? Would this cause a leak between the boxes and is this an issue on the lt77? My lt77 is still leaking despite changing the seals twice (once without removing the collar and again by removing it). Collar change seems the next option, but could the oil pump be at fault?