110 Brake Problem-cannot bleed

Hi All,

Need some help ideas here. Brakes will not bleed.

HISTORY

1988 110 F reg changed from 2.5na to 300 tdi.

Replaced all flexi pipes with Goodrich braided flexis

Replaced front brake pipes, replaced pistons and seals in calipers, (genuine LR)

Rear brakes adjusted correctly(Drums)

Bled the system 3 times, no dirty brake fluid left in system, there was plenty but its now clean when bleeding.

If i pump the pedal several times i get a fantastic pedal, release pedal and its back down to the floor after about 5 seconds.

With the pedal pumped up and held i have checked all unions etc no sign of any leaks, there are no signs of the master cylinder leaking down the bulkhead wtc.

The vehicle has been stood for several months (though run up and moved at times) but up till last week the brakes were fine

I am starting to think the master cylinder has given up, but would appreciate any ideas solutions etc

Thanks in advance

Keith

My vote is the Master cylinder, had similar on 3 vehicles now, - just replaced the master on my disco re-build, do the brakes "work" right at the bottom of the pedal stroke without pumping? -if so the front piston in the master is bypassing thus the rear piston has to engage both front and back calipers which it shouldn't have to do.

Mav

Clamp the rear brake hose and try it. Chances are it's the rears that are causing it as above, unless it's a sticky piston on the front brakes.

Unable to clamp goodrich braided hose i think?

Keith

Unable to clamp goodrich braided hose i think?

Keith

What about blanking off the hose with a capped off union so that you can do the same test without clamping it? as in using a blanked off union as a stopper?

John

Snail cam adjustment is lack of top end firmness in the pedal, air locks are spongy, its not an air lock, as it pumps up ok, but then slowly releases... which is oil bi-passing a seal, if there isn't any leaks external then its an internal leak in the master cyclinder, get one ordered ;)

Mav

Snail cam adjustment is lack of top end firmness in the pedal, air locks are spongy, its not an air lock, as it pumps up ok, but then slowly releases... which is oil bi-passing a seal, if there isn't any leaks external then its an internal leak in the master cyclinder, get one ordered.

Mav

Ok next time it will be your master cyclinder... :ph34r: glad you've found the problem...