Performance filters opinions please chaps ?

Hi everyone

Got a service to do on my 300 tdi and was wondering your thought on performance air filters ??

Not britpart ones !!

Ones like k&n or green cotton etc

Do they offer any performance advantages or better filtration etc ??

What's your thoughts ??

Many thanks

Chris

well K&N say they offer better air flow with the same level of filtration, as they work differently, the paper oneswork like a fine seive, the oil coated ones like the K&N ones actually attract the dirt as it flows through the filter, plus you can clean and re-oil them I've got a K&N filter to go on my TDi conversion, won't be able to compare performance though, but in short I don't think they hurt

If you don't want to filter the air, then use a K&N/performance filter, yes you will see that corner a little quicker, but also your engine rebuild due to worn out bores.

I wouldn't put a K&N anywhere near an engine you actually like.

not strictly landrover talk but my L200 has been running a k+n induction kit for the last 3 years and the engines still running sweet as a nut, sails the emmisions every year and thats without a cat, before owning this i had a pajero with k+n also and no probs and before this i went through the whole boy racer stage for several years so every car got treated to a performance filter, whether it be k+n/pipercross/green and it never did any harm to my engines, way i see it is if they are cleaned regularly and thoroughly then theres no problems with them.

It's long term damage, i.e. 60K+ you will see it, the bores will wear faster than the bearings in the engine.

If you want to see damage from free flow filters, have a look at Hybrid from Hell's 5.2 V8...

Paper filters are like £10 for a quality branded one from a motor factors, quite why anyone would use anything else is beyond me!

I suppose there is an advantage to not having to store spares in an expedition situation, as the oil-filters can be cleaned easily, but that's about all I can think of.

I have K&N in my Nissan SR20DE (your old Primera) since 50.000 km. Right now it has 240.000 km with no trouble at all, at least without disarming. In my TD5 I have K&N during last 90.000 km (it has 194.000 km) with no trouble. In this case is more a matter of economy and accesibility, TD5 air filter are really expensive and rare here. Always using K&N cleaning kit.

Oh, I almost forgot , my petrol Series have a K&N too, but only the last 10.000 km.... in this case, I think anything filters better than the original bath type one.

I suppose there is an advantage to not having to store spares in an expedition situation, as the oil-filters can be cleaned easily, but that's about all I can think of.

hmmm, not really. I had to give a few big bags and cable ties to a couple in morocco so they could flush theirs out. Not really worth it when your in the sticks. you are also then in a position of where to safely dispose of the used 'solution'.

If you read all the responses to that post there is a fair bit to be said for leaving the filters in for longer than service life to gain better filtration (makes sense) but I guess you would see a drop in performance.

they also poo poo oil bath filters.

I would like to see an inline airflow meter for a Defender with warning light. We had one on the Land Cruiser in Arica lastyear and it was great. Also having washable filters was a bonus too!

G

I would like to see an inline airflow meter for a Defender with warning light. We had one on the Land Cruiser in Arica lastyear and it was great. Also having washable filters was a bonus too!

19J Turbo diesels and 2.5NA's had a air filter restriction indicator under the bonnet. wouldn't be hard to fit to later ones. Alot of farm machinery have a warning light for blocked filter as well.

Oil bath filters as the Serie's are really carp for anything smaller than big-chunk dust. Today's bath filters are really quite differents as they come in sealed units where all the air have to pass through, not the Series one where only some portion of the air goes through filtration

Oil bath filters are very very very effective, they are often still used for industrial diesel engines.

Actually they're pretty poor, they work by impaction only, and there's big gaps for contaminants to get past the strands of wire wool or whatever is used as the media.

Ben/isuzurover on that AULRO link doesn't think much of them at all, and he has a Series II that he's retrofitted a Donaldson.

A filter warning light would be fairly achievable I should think. Some kind of pressure-activated switch (like an oil pressure switch) that closes when the vaccum upstream of the air filter reaches a certain level.

Donaldson, Fleetguard and Mann-Hummel filter housings on large off road and truck stuff use a pressure drop indicator for showing when to change an element.