Superwinch H14

jules

A friend at work (Nigel)

has a ex Yorkshire electric 110

when he selects PTO for the winch it stalls the engine

any idea's as to what is up....

(somthing sounds siezeed to me but I know nothing about PTO winches)

I know its silly but he has got the transfer box in neutral has'nt he, I believe the winches have shear pins installed to stop the winch pulling more than its rated capacity, not sure where this would be but I would also check if the pin has been replaced with a bolt!

Sorry I can't be more help but mine appears to have originally been mechanical and later converted to hydraulic.

I would suggest if no-one here can help ask PG Winches for advice.

I don't think there are shear pins, but a clutch in the drop PTO.

As said - is he in neutral ?

Is there some cable already pulled out ? or is he pulling against the hook thats clipped to the winch bumper :ph34r:

Can you free-spool out any cable ?

Failing those - disconnect the shafts and try and turn manually. A pair of mole-grips should be able to turn the winch over, albeit very slowly.

Hi

The overload clutch is in the pto, its under the red plastic cover, its a simple spring loaded dog type ratchet, witch you preload by putting a torque wrench on the output shaft of the PTO ware the prop would go on, and adjusting the faceless nut with a grub screw in it (under the red cover), until the ratchet unlocks at Xlbft load on the torque wrench.

For the FW 525 witch used the same pto drive, most left SW/FW set at 45lbft, the maximum is 85lbft, but the 525 has a 48:1 gear ratio, but I don’t know what the gear ratio or drum radius is of the H14 is, to tell you the correct value!!!!!!!!

Use:

Place transfer box in neutral.

Forward gears in the main gearbox pull in winch rope.

Reverse gear pays out winch rope.

Maximum pull is in 1st gear at engine tick over RPM, if you have a hand throttle get the engine tick over as low as possible (you are after very low HP & your full ##lbft allotment of torque to avoid tripping the overload ratchet, witch adding HP i.e. RPM dose, HP = load vs. speed)

Just be very careful with PTO winches, they are more dangerous than electric or hydraulic when being operated by 1 person, if you get caught up in one it will keep pulling until the ratchet goes, and there is no way to reverse the winch unless you can get back into the cab, there is no button or dead man device to let go of like the other systems if you are out of the cab!!!!

Don’t clime underneath the land rover with the pto running to look at the pretty prop shafts spinning & start touching them or lie near them with lose clothing or long hair, if it grabs you it will happily rip what ever bit it was off ;)

Were possible, always use 2 people to operate a pto winch, if you have to operate it by your self stay in the cab, mount a mirror at an angle on the front of the bonnet so you can see from the cab that the cable is spooling on correctly to save getting in and out etc, and for an extra margin of safety as there is no means of a dead mans device, get an emergency stop button and mount it near the winch in a prominent easily assessable place and have it so when winching it is spliced into the stop cellunoid on the injector pump effectively stopping the engine without the need to get back to the cab, but have it so when using on the road it is disconnected to avoid kids from pressing it for a laugh ;)

b101uk

for starters...

The H14 ratio is 48:1

Last night, despite being tired, I tried a few permitations, including all gears in neutral - and it still stalled when PTO engaged. This leads me to think it's an electrical/fuel cut off problem. There is a buzzer and light installed to indicate when PTO is engaged - but how this would/could effect fuel cut off I aint sure yet.

More investigation required me thinks.

It's a wierd one.

N.

OK - I was in 2 minds as to wether to post this - but hey ho, I's man enough (Shush all those that know me :rolleyes:)

Underneath where the centre front seat or cubby box sits is a plate, like the battery cover plate under the passenger seat, underneath this sits a switch, very similar to a hand break switch. When the PTO leaver is engaged this presses the switch and activates the alarm buzzer and warning light - it is at this point my engine would stall.

On the wing top next to the winch controls is an emergancy engine stop button... I guess you can see what's coming...

Whenever I've tried the emergancy stop button in the past it has not done anything and so presumed it to be not working and added it to the to do list. The red knob was broken and a friend removed it with the intention of taking it to work to see if he could "find" a replacement, this just left the thread of the switch showing.

Needles to say, over the weekend I found out that this cut off switch only works when the PTO is engaged, and someone had depressed it, with little or no visble sign of this, I's spent several weeks trying to work out why my engine stalls when PTO is engaged.

Hence, there is now an old gear knob on my wing top where otherwise a big red button should be, and all's well with the world. :)

Thanks to all for your help.

N.

<snip>

On the wing top next to the winch controls is an emergancy engine stop button... I guess you can see what's coming...

<snip>

Actually - I'm really glad you owned up to that.

I need to put a kill switch on my PTO superwinch.

Having it wired so it only operates when the PTO is engaged is a sweet solution, and stops the engine being killed by hitting the switch on a tree (unless you are winching) etc etc.

Actually - I'm really glad you owned up to that.

I need to put a kill switch on my PTO superwinch.

Having it wired so it only operates when the PTO is engaged is a sweet solution, and stops the engine being killed by hitting the switch on a tree (unless you are winching) etc etc.

Next job is to fix the hydraulic accellerator. Talk about over engineering. The Aux lever on the wing top sends pressure to a piston located under the engine, which in turn pulls a cable, the cable pulls a secondary bracket on the throttle. At present I have a cable sleeve and the secondary bracket - as yet the two have to meet - possibly via a replacement cable :unsure:

That's next weekends to do list topped up.

:)

Nige

Glad its fixed !

Don't worry re owning up, got a call from a mate who had got himself in the lurch big time and needed recovering, I knew as I had been welding bits on the 90 the ECU MegaJolt ECU and Kill switch were all discconected, so reconnected them and jumped in to start engine

Newanewanewanewanewa WTF :blink:

Fiddle fiddle......Newanewanewanewanewa

I was halfway through reconnecting the old Dizzy cap rotor arm and leads to bypass the obviously faulty and now in my mind C8ap Megajolt system....... when I spotted that I had also discconected (but not reconnected) the EDIS8 plug

Ho hum

Nige

:D

i did say

"get an emergency stop button and mount it near the winch in a prominent easily assessable place and have it so when winching it is spliced into the stop cellunoid on the injector pump effectively stopping the engine without the need to get back to the cab, but have it so when using on the road it is disconnected to avoid kids from pressing it for a laugh ;) "

glad it was a cheep fix for you even if it did cost time!

b101uk