Is Britpart Really That Bad

mcc1979ian

Ah ha! Mikey I have problems with the Wipac light units. TBH I was under the impression that BP now owned the Wipac brand (bit of a shame, as it used to be a good name).

I have Wipac branded NAS/Td5 style rear fog and reverse light units. The bulb is such a loose fit in the holder, I ended up modifying it to improve the fit.

If you check a part out on lrdirect.com, you can see their price difference between Britpart, other makers and genuine, so it is a little easier to work oiut how much extra you are paying for a part. I have not had a Bearmach part fail to fit, or fail early.

Two shameless plugs there, no connection with either apart from being a satisfied customer.

Richard

PS You can usually avoid Britpart by calling the guys at Brit-Car if you specify non-BP.

Here is an idea, as most seem to be able to type out their complaint in this thread why not send an email to BP and explain to them what the problem was and why you were not satisfied, they can't or won't change anything if they are not fully aware of a problem, yes I know most folk bin the receipts but the supplier will have a record of the transaction and especially if it was an online transaction too.

BP front and rear drilled and grooved brake discs along with BP H/D brake pads making their way to me shortly for a shake down.

Here is an idea, as most seem to be able to type out their complaint in this thread why not send an email to BP and explain to them what the problem was and why you were not satisfied, they can't or won't change anything if they are not fully aware of a problem, yes I know most folk bin the receipts but the supplier will have a record of the transaction and especially if it was an online transaction too.

BP front and rear drilled and grooved brake discs along with BP H/D brake pads making their way to me shortly for a shake down.

Do you have a direct email address for them so we can avoid using the web form and also attach photos of the issues when we have them? A picture speaks a thousand words and all that. Also by using a real email address we get to keep a record of the conversation rather than it disappearing when you submit a web form.

Its even less hassle to just avoid them. There are plenty of other suppliers that save me the hassle of fitting a part (that is IF it fits when its from BP) and then having to remove it when it breaks a week later, have the truck off the road whilst i get a replacement, take photos, chase suppliers and write emails. Its happened a few times to me with BP products - generally when i think 'oh, bugger it, i'll give them another try'.

When you struggle with BP bit for hours and a genuine part slots/pops straight on in a few minutes (i'm thinking of brake wiper seal retainer rings at the moment), then you think to yourself....'what is the point of buying BP again'. My time is worth more than the saving their parts afford over genuine/OEM/decent aftermarket (i.e. bearmach). Even if you get a refund for a part that isnt fit for purpose, they wont refund you for the time wasted trying to fit it, or removing it after its broken.

I really hope you have more luck with them DD, but i'd be prepared for lots of frustration if you are planning to allow them to use your disco as a test bed. Personally, i give up with them, and also with any garage that fits their parts.

Here is an idea, as most seem to be able to type out their complaint in this thread why not send an email to BP and explain to them what the problem was and why you were not satisfied, they can't or won't change anything if they are not fully aware of a problem,

Clearly you have never tried this. I know trade people that have no end of problem getting BP to take stuff back, and as for getting a refund :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Do you have a direct email address for them so we can avoid using the web form and also attach photos of the issues when we have them? A picture speaks a thousand words and all that. Also by using a real email address we get to keep a record of the conversation rather than it disappearing when you submit a web form.

This might help a little Barry, but I fear not enough :(

Its even less hassle to just avoid them.

When you struggle with BP bit for hours and a genuine part slots/pops straight on in a few minutes (i'm thinking of brake wiper seal retainer rings at the moment), then you think to yourself....'what is the point of buying BP again'. My time is worth more than the saving their parts afford over genuine/OEM/decent aftermarket (i.e. bearmach). Even if you get a refund for a part that isnt fit for purpose, they wont refund you for the time wasted trying to fit it, or removing it after its broken.

100% agreed.

No I used good old fashioned snail mail recorded delivery for my initial contact and then was contacted by telephone, I refuse to use any web form thing for anything as I have automated responses that do not help and often feel that many of them are automatically replied to and never responded to, but that is just me, bad experiences in the past.

Interestingly, snail mail took 3 days to get there and telephoned on the fourth day so can't be too bad for the post boy can it?

Mr Dieseldog, just a question if I may. You mentioned in an earlier post about getting Britpart to support your Disco rebuild. Does this mean that you are attempting to get sponsorship in the form of free parts ? If this is the case, are the brake parts that are on their way to you purchased or gratis ?

I realise the above may sound rude but it does alter the manner in which your reviews of said parts are received.

Mo

No no not sponsored but for me as a test bed for real life test of parts I want to use from them based on cost and what I want to use my truck for, I want to actually see for myself and if there is a problem then as I have been in contact with them all ready it should make dealing with my problem a lot easier if there should ever be one?

But I the only free stuff I get in this life is sh*t on by other people!!!!

They did not offer and I did not ask, my parts are purchased from Paddocks in the UK and will be delivered by the weekend they tell me.

Thanks for clearing that up. Good luck as the mobile test bed, I think you'll need it :)

Mo

Thanks for that Mo.

There are other reasons I want to use them too but it is part of a much bigger personal picture for a business idea that I want to bring to fruition within the next 3~5yrs. Parts suppliers are two a penny and I want to know for myself what is good and bad and down right ugly from them all!!! I used BP parts for more than 12 years and never had a problem with anything I purchased, so lets see what happens with the new parts to come.

Oh and if anyone is wondering I will be completely honest in my findings and that will be reflected in whether they were good or rubbish!!!!

..... Oh and if anyone is wondering I will be completely honest in my findings and that will be reflected in whether they were good or rubbish!!!!

I think a lot of people have different ideas as to what is acceptable so maybe what this thread really needs is pictures of failed (or badly made) items and approximate dates when they were purchased and failed, not to see how long they lasted but more so we can gauge if it was a relatively current production run if you see what I mean. Oh and to be even and balanced I guess photos of parts that are actually good.

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I ordered an aftermarket front propshaft from Paddock to my standard non lifted Disco 2 and it turned out to be Britpart. What can go wrong with a hefty steel tube I asked myself. I held up for 100km!! Then a clunking noise was heard. I thought that I had wrecked my tranny etc. No it was the brand new propshaft. The steel pin inside the double cardan was broke. The part was TVB 000110. Im thinking of using one of the u joints for the rear propshaft. What can go wrong? :)

No I did not send it back because I live in Sweden and I had to much at work. To bad when I think of it. I never ever ever buy Britpart after that. Its just not worth it in the long run.

I bought a new speedo cable which turned out to be britpart. Would have not ordered it had I known. The drive flange that goes into the transfer box is physically too small to engage it. All that happens is trasfer box drive flange spins around it. Returned it which they said they would only replace like for like since I had fitted it already, got a new one, exactly the same. Asked for a refund, Britpart responded with "we've never had that problem before" and refused the refund.

Ordered a bearmach one - fine. Job done.