Well it took me this long to get around to modifying the side vent to fit. The sliders now being too short does annoy me since changing the outer wing skin but it had far too big a gap with the defender sides. Galv isn't the best thing to weld though... I really should get around to doing it though. Wonder if I can get them partially dipped to recoat the extra bit?....

59 minutes ago, jad said:

Well it took me this long to get around to modifying the side vent to fit. The sliders now being too short does annoy me since changing the outer wing skin but it had far too big a gap with the defender sides. Galv isn't the best thing to weld though... I really should get around to doing it though. Wonder if I can get them partially dipped to recoat the extra bit?....

There are some spray on galvs you can get. Not sure how good they are compared to hot dip but I'd have thought like all paints it's down to the prep so as long as the surface is clean and degreased properly then that's better than nothing.

I do have some zinga. It's works pretty well but it looks quite different. Matt finish, not as smooth. Would probably look a bit odd!

Bowie that sounds  you haven't started a thread anywhere per chance?

I suppose it's all down to aesthetics but a friend had pretty good success with coating the rock sliders I repaired for him (and had galvanised) with bed-liner. Also provided a bit of extra grip, but they were a different design being a Land Cruiser.

22 minutes ago, jad said:

Bowie that sounds  you haven't started a thread anywhere per chance?

Afraid not, no, it stemmed from doing the electrolysis rust removal which is excellent, it was a natural step from there, just a few more chemicals needed.

I can do a thread if people are interested....

3 hours ago, jad said:

Can't you extend them and just send for complete dipping? It's possible to get items re-galvanised, that's all you would really be doing.

• 4 years later...

Well its been a very long time since I posted in here.... I still have it, no massive changes, going through some updating renewing parts etc. The following is a list of work I have completed over the past maybe year or so....

3D printed a snorkel in ABS in about 16 parts and melted it together using acetone.

Reprinted my speaker mounts in ABS, the previous PLA had warped in the hot weather.

Changed the clutch release bearing as its been squeaking. Unfortunately only discovered LOF do an extreme heavy duty bearing after replacement.... 😕

Changed the front axle casing after finding out the mounts were about 9mm too far apart, also wanted to increase the castor angle to get rid of some remaining prop vibration. Its now on the limit of what it can be but is good for vibration.

Changed the timing belt/waterpump. Cant say how glad I am that I did this. One of the bearings was as dry as the sahara and I also found the timing belt was not correctly tensioned 😳 So its always been a bit loose in my ownership.... Fortunately now corrected with a homemade washer in a washer....

I am also making a new android head unit for the car based on an SBC but that is work in progress.

I need to do the pictures another time.... All of them appear to be in different places hiding somewhere!

Jad