Twin Snorkels on a TD5

I have been thinking about this for a while and don't know enough about airflow to know if it will work or be a waste of money

I already have a snorkel fitted and by its nature I am sure that it restricts air flow.

I originally fitted the snorkel becaues of all the dust and sand that you get whilst driving in the desert. It also gets very hot which means that the air is less dense than a colder climate, especially in the summer when it can reach 45+degrees

Thats my reasoning for the 2nd snorkel, has anyone done this or got any advice

Its probably worth adding I have a larger performance intercooler/chip/K&N airfilter

Thxs

Jason

Seems like a bit of an overkill to me, if you want to improve the airflow, you might be better of trading in your Mantec type snorkel for a Safari, the head design of the Mantec`s is more restrictive.

With a Safari you can fit a Donaldson head for extreme dust, but they only recomend them for speed up to 80kph before the effiency starts to drop off, and these head are more similar to the Mantec type design.

Cant rember where it was but there was a link somewhere a year or two ago, from one of the forums from an independant report showing that the Safari did flow better with a vehicle on the dyno over the Mantec.

But in all honesty, for the money you will spend doing either mod, its doubtfull that you will notice any difference at all.

Guest diesel_jim

On my 90, i have twin snorkels (300Tdi)

if i've got the boost wound right up to 20+ psi, i notice that with just one snorkel the engine does get strangled, and fitting the second snorkel did sort that out, but now i've got it back down to a more sensible pressure, i suppose i could do without the second one.

once i fit a 2.8 i don't know if i'll still need both.

however, after i fitted mine, i realised that mantec do a V8 snorkel, which has a bigger diameter tube, so just one of those would have done.

on my Td5 110, if i fit the snorkel or remove it (it's been on and off a few times due to certain "work" issues) i've noticed no difference whatsoever (it's in standard tun BTW)

hope that helps a bit.