Leaking Gutters - Need a solution

V8 Freak

I've got a 90 XS with the roof the same colour as the truck... (Darned silly idea if you ask me.... White is so much easier to find a match...)

The gutter seal is starting to crack and leak. Because of the colour and cost associated with digging out the seal, sealing and re-spraying the roof, I'm looking for repair options.

Is there something that potentially could be poured into the gutter, that is clear (Or can add some paint potentially) that will self level, seep into the crack and then set, potentially not totally solid to allow some flex.

I was thinking I could block the drainage holes at each end and then either drill through or un-plug if a solution is available to restore drainage if required.

I remember that liquid plastic I used to play with as a kid and seal watch parts or leaves into clear plastic but this may be too rigid for the application required above.

I have no issue with completely filling the gutter if it means a permanent solution.

Thanks in advance for your ideas....

Neil

I have tried this, cure is a bit of a misnomer, Capt Tolley might have made a slight improvement, but is no match for the tsunami experierenced when first applying the brakes after a wet night. It does wake you up though. I have wondered if, Ok do your best to stop it etc, but then what about some drain tubes down the A post and out, like some sunroofs have. If you are going to do the Capt Tolley experience, park level, and bung the drain holes with dumdum opr somethng, so it has a chance to seep in, as its quite liquid, I think there's so much body flex anything has a hard time staying flexible enough to stay sealed

I went for a sealant from B&Q that is supposed to remain flexible after setting. But then my roof is white and so as you say is easier to colour match.

I think though that the part of the gutter that needs sealing (the join to the main roof sheets) is fairly well hidden from view so if the match wasn't 100% it wouldn't be the end of the world.

what about bung the gutter up each end, then pour some warm clear waxoyl in? that should flow into the gaps, set to form a seal, and be flexible, plus it won't affect the paint finish.

have heard of it being done with disco's before, especially at the back of the roof where the 3 panels meet. have personally tried captain tolley, and it did run into the gaps, and also out of the bottom to leave some rather awkward to remove stains down the paintwork

I did wonder myself for a while John but it's definitely only happening after rain...

There is a visible crack that will definitely accommodate water !!

I may try some tape as a temp measure to see if it deflects the rain and proves my theory. At some point the headlining will be removed, sound deadening material applied to the metal surfaces and the headlining replaced... This should solve and potential condensation issues longer term.