200 tdi to 3.9 v8 conversion questions

hi, after some advice from fellow forum users i have decided that 3.9 efi is the way to go for my conversion but i have a few questions first before i start buying -

can i use the lt77 box attched to the 200 tdi on my v8 engine?

if so do i need adapters and where can i get them?

is it possible to get bolt on engine mounts for the v8 (currently have a galved chassis and worry that welding may harm the galv)?

i have a new kenlowe fan for the 200 tdi - will this cope with the v8 or could i connect a 2nd one?

will v8 radiator fit straight into my original radiator mount?

will i need a 2 hole fuel tank?

do i need to upgrade my brakes?

if so what would you recommend?

would i be better with an in tank fuel pump or would in-line be sufficient?

would my heavy duty tdi clutch cope wi the v8? (it was only in vehicle 3 weeks before it went off the road)

can i do the conversion without having to modify seat box/bulkhead tunnel?

is there any mods you would do before fitting the engine?

have i asked too many questions ??

if i missed anything please feel free to add on.

What brakes do you currently have? I'd guess on standard solid discs at the front and drums at the rear as a minimum?

You can use 2 fans, but I'd suggest just starting with one to start off, plumbing in a seperate temp gauge (I got a very nice digital one), and then if you're finding it running a bit warm and you've explored all other options (airlocks, badly corroded rad etc) then think about a second.

To the best of my knowledge, all V8's had the long bellhousing LT, otherwise the back of the engine ends up under the bulkhead...could be wrong though, but i can certainly see why you want to use it.

When you say "2 hole tank".........?

You can use your LT77 with a conversion ring - google "Milner ring" - they come up on ebay sometimes. problem with this is that it sets the engine too far back compared to factory and may mean bulkhead chopping a bit like on a series v8 conversion. I cant say this for def though having not done it.

A better bet is to fit a proper v8 LT77 with the long bellhousing and that way everything stays in the factory position. I got a longstick box from an old range rover. (I converted from 2.25 petrol to v8 in my 90). Or you could find a bellhousing, and change the mainshaft in your 4 pot box for the longer v8 one. Disco LT77's will not work as the shifter will end up in the seatbox somewhere.

Dunno about mounts.

What size kenlowe do you have? I run a single 16" with no issues on my 3.5

I bought a two hole tank when my last one started leaking a while ago - I have fitted the rangerover efi fuel pump with the metal top and extended it to the bottom of the tank- its quite simple to do, just replace the section of hose with a longer bit and add in an extra bit of metal to lower the whole thing. Part number is prc8318 i think.

Your brakes should be more than fine to cope. Mine are and they are the standard solid disks. Just make sure everything works as it should.

I went from Petrol to Petrol and there are still way more little fiddly things to do and or connect than you think. Best bet is to do some reading, and then sit down and mentally work your way through the job and write it all out. Think about what you will need at each stage.

Then do it again because if you are like me you will have missed a load of stuff the first time.

Hopefully someone who went Diesel to Petrol can come along and comment some more...

ok so had a look at ashcrofts site and now reckon i can get an engine then add a gearbox from ashcroft for under a grand so it looking like definetly job on, now just need to price up radiator, fuel pump, oil cooler, engine mounts and whatever else im gona need, mite even upgrade to vented discs and a disco rear axle whilst doing the job.

still could do to know what else i mite need for the job

Engine mounts are available, can't remember the whole part numbers, but they are left hand and right hand fittment (i.e. you need one of each), the part number was something like KUV ....290 and KUV ...... 280, they do have bolt holes through them, so could be bolted straight through the chassis, they are only available as a landrover part, and cost something like £40 each.

The part numbers are listed within the microcat parts catalogue within the chassis section for the defender.

alternatively, ring one of the well know chassis suppliers, and ask for a set of weld on mounts with a backplate welded on or weld your own backplate, I think they cost about £20 for the pair

With regards to gearboxes, you can consider the LT85 which is the 5 speed box, they are prone to mainshaft spline wear over time, and bearings that require replacement, otherwise I think an R380 is an option, I may be wrong here, but I thought that the LT77 was not so good with the rover v8 and prone to wear, and I don't know what they are like behind a 3.9 with a little more torque and HP than the 3.5 which was more common standard fitment for the defender.

You need to bear in mind that the LT77 was used as an interim gearbox, because I understand that the agreement with Santana fell apart for the supply of the LT85 so LR needed their own boxes, the LT77's were used until the R380 came along, there are a few writeups on the net that explain the LR gearboxes over the years.

such as here: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/gearboxes.htm

Your key is to make sure you get a gearbox with the correct rover bellhousing.

My LT85 has an 11" belhousing on it, never worked with the LT77 or R380's so cannot advise.

If you're buying from Ashcrofts then R380 or LT77 will be the thing, they'll all be built to the latest spec so not much to chose between, R380 is only a slightly tweaked LT77 anyway so on paper they're a little better.

Also if you're buying from ascrofts you can do what I did and get a box built that has a V8 bellhousing (RR 10.5" clutch) but the Defender shifter (sticks in the right place rather than a foot further back). Also worth getting an aluminium clutch release bearing carrier, Rakeway do them but these days so do Britpart and they actually don't look too shocking quality-wise which makes a change.

Mainshaft spline wear on gearboxes is (I think I'm right in saying) down to the output gear in the transfer box - later ones are cross-drilled to allow oil to get in, if yours isn't then get Mr Ashcroft to bung one in the box for you too.

so many options you have., oil cooler, you dont need. so remove it orrrrr if you really want to use it use purchase a TD radiator, will fit in your current mounts and the engine oil cooler pipes will fit no problem

Gearbox wise, the strongest box is the LT85, not the quietest but designed for the V8 and fits perfectly. if your purchasing new then a R380 would be a nice upgrade but you'd need to change / modify your tunned / seat box to accept which ever gearbox you decide to go for.

A two hole tank is the better option, i have done both. you can use the 1 hole and put a intank pump but i found i had to loose the low light as i needed the connection to run the pump. External pumps are noisey.. a two hole tank does work better.

The Efi system is nice and simple to fit. only a hand ful of wires to fit. so no drama there.

Fans - what is the purpose of use? off roading? then the biggest fan you can fit or twin. on road? then just one fan will do or why not fit the viscous?

this is only one way. but there are a few option you have. :)

• Like 1