v8 rebuild

mcc1979ian

ok so im still toiling between a 3.9 efi or 4.6 gems for the 90 but have found a few of each for very little money but most are over the 100k mark.

the plan is if i end up with one of these to get it completley rebuilt.

now i have 2 questions,

1. does anyone have a rough idea how much a complete rebuild might cost?

2. what upgrades would you have done to the engine whilst bein built?

oh an i have another, which engine do you reckon in the long run would be most reliable 3.9 or 4.6?

been looking around and i can pick up a low mileage 3.9 efi for £500 with ecu and loom included so maybe spend 2k and get a decent job done.

after a few hours looking around the v8 forumn it looks like the 3.9's my better choice, especially as i want to keep an lt77 to avoid modding my bodywork

dont think the lt77 will handle a 4.6 and gems dosent seem to come too highly recommended due to all the computers involved

i'd recommend "V8Developments" all the way.

They supplied all the bits when i rebuilt a 3.9 for 90 soft top.Don't think you'll be spending anywhere near 2k unless your going with a lot of tuning.

I rebuilt mine along with a

re-hone/acid wash(£50-100)

cylinder head acid wash

new valve stem seals

new rings

new bearings

one of there own cams with followers £150

new camchain

I reckon if your doing a standard rebuild with a cam change your looking at around the £600 mark.

No matter what your needs are for the engine Ray and Shaun really know there stuff and will help with anything you need.Even if your just buying the parts or having them rebuild the lump for you.

Can't recommend them enough.

I stuck with a 3.5 which had about £120 for each head rebuild and skim, maybe £90 for the crank grind and I forget the shell bearing cost. Then gaskets. Rebore is £20 a hole. Saved on pistons by fitting new rings to old +20 pistons. Then about £300 on ARP stud kits to hold it all together. The Piper cam and duplex chain vernier kit was maybe £350? Then I dry sumped it :)

So a thousand sounds right for a basic rebuild. It's the VAT that bumps it up I think.

I recomend the ARP studs to hold the mains and heads on, even if you tighten them to the OE torque, they are are what it should have had from new !

Duplex chain? Seemed mean to fit a decent cam with a rover plastc cog.

Dry sump is a bit mad, but hey, no problem priming the daft rover oil pump, and that icky relief valve goes :D

I hear a 3.9 cross bolted is the daddy on reliability?

Depends if you want power or reliability?