info on challenges needed

Hi,firstly my apologies for not being on here for such a long time.

Recently i have been looking at getting into challenge events with maybe MOC or midwest. What i am wondering is....Can i stick a winch on my ALRC ccv 80 and compete in class 1?? or is there more to it? and has anyone got any suggestions on which winch to start with? been looking at a champion HS 9500. any good?

many thanks

Hamish

Ok, sorry first off you need to find the regulations and class for your chosen events as they can differ slightly. I don't compete in the two events mentioned, so I cannot comment in detail.

As a guide a lot is organised through the AWDC and MSA, and some of these technical and event regulation can be found linked off here.

Yes you will mostly likely to be able to stick a winch on your truck and compete in some class with probably minor modifications as all the regs tend to be based on the MSA regs (as they tend to insure the events)

Which class depends on the events structure.

Note the general trend in challenge events is for longer wheel based vehicle, the general trend seems to be around 100 inch wheel base, not that 93 inch or shorter cannot compete, just from experience an 80 inch wheel base tend to be less stable on the steeper slopes and might require to use a winch more often than a longer wheel base (or will roll more often).

As for which winch to start with, depends on how serious you want to be (or how much money you want to spend)

A more common type of winch used, is the more open Warn 8274 type of Winch, but saying that a low line winch like the champion HS 9500 will work, but be slower and suffer more from rope bunching.

You could buy the champion and if you want to progress then upgrade to the 8274 style and move the champion to the rear and then to the centre (ideal for a centre winch)

Or you could buy an older second hand 8274 for a lot less than new.

One recommendation is to replace the standard wire rope with a synthetic rope (these are not cheap but have many advantages and some events don't allow wire rope for safety reasons)

Hope that helps and a note that I currently run a whitbread 100" with 3 winches, but I started off with a standard 90 with a winch similar to the champion one.

I just hope you can find space for a winch on an 80" without adding to your approach angle.

I'd go with a 8274 as nearly everyone has spares for these should you need to "borrow" bits.

I started in my 88 inch and TBH found it a bit twitchy on some stuff due to the shortness, but great in the trees :i-m_so_happy:

When I built the trayback I went for 100inch as it was the best all round and no where near as many brown trouser moments...... that might just have been my driving though :ph34r:

MOC, viking and LRS are about handicap for off road aids, not the base vehicle. So 'one winch' is the lowest class.

If you're really fit you can make it clip on either end so you stay in a low class but have advantage of 2 winches :)

Or a rear winch run through to the front like Ibex thingy?

Funny thing is, at 87" we've less rolls than in trialling. I guess it is so steep that you go for a rope rather than boot it, and the rope keeps you up. It is very usefull as a gravity aid !

I'll vote for 9.5 goldfish, because I always do. But my first front winch was the typeR milemarker hydraulic, and it still is :D

If you are cash tight, the strap is a good 'non steel' option.

Come and have some fun. There's always room for another thrill seeker :)

thanks for all the replies, i think i will go for the champion to start with due to cost. when i biult the 80 i fitted a s1 style grille so am hoping the winch will nestle between the wings nicely. i am hoping that maybe doing trialing for as long as i have may allow me to drive abit more than i winch maybe. il have a look out for a local event and go along for a look first. i wouldnt biuld anything else i dont think as i enjoy doing the alrc events so dont fancy a full on challenge truck. but you never no!! ^_^

Looks very familiar. I see the same problem in the snatch recovery point. Mine works fine off to one side though. The one on the rear is on the same chassis rail so I didn't worry about being the bent piggy in the middle double-truck pulls :wacko:

StaffsShow20123low.jpg

ALRC is slipping away. I can still put the rear outriggers on as there are sockets in place, but I would need a new fake rear cross member.

The only real subtle change I can think is that it is a lot slippier in places. Once the winches could take it daft places, the front, rear and underneath started digging in. Hence the front skid plate and under-ski.

im hoping to make a tray for the winch that bolts in using the front tow point bolts and the bumper bolts and the panhard rod bracket mounts. and have a tow point within that. should work i hope. i still want to do alrc as enjoy it. wouldnt miss majors and nationals etc.

Not quite an 80" trialer but this is my 88" on Saturday in the Scott Williams Memorial Challenge at a ridiculously wet West Harptree.

Goodwinch TDs 9.5c on the front and the same on the back in Champion flavour, both running synthetic rope.

Just bolt the winch/winches on and have a go. I did and loved it!

post-3874-0-52888600-1341920261_thumb.jpg

post-3874-0-04211000-1341920307_thumb.jpg