any suggestions on how to water proof the ECU?

i was wondering if any of you guys could help me out. after the whole mishap before, i want to find a way (if possible) to water proof my ECU. would it over heat it? does it need cooling? is there some kind of extension wiring kit so i can wire into my car under the seat? any suggestions would be great

thanx

adam :)

i was wondering if any of you guys could help me out. after the whole mishap before, i want to find a way (if possible) to water proof my ECU. would it over heat it? does it need cooling? is there some kind of extension wiring kit so i can wire into my car under the seat? any suggestions would be great

thanx

adam :)

Adam

You can buy an extension to move your ECU from under your seat and connect it higher up, the other option is to waterproof the area under the seat where the ECU sits, a few people have dons this

I am sure someone will be along with more info, I don't have to waterproof things, not much rain and water where I play

Adam

You can buy an extension to move your ECU from under your seat and connect it higher up, the other option is to waterproof the area under the seat where the ECU sits, a few people have dons this

I am sure someone will be along with more info, I don't have to waterproof things, not much rain and water where I play

SIMTEK do an extension kit for ECUs - just looking for their number now, I'll post it if I find it.

They are the people who do all the harnesses for the Bowlers as well so their pedigree is good

David

LLAMA 4x4

hey thanx guys for the help. ill chek out and see if i can find anything to do wiht SIMTEK. the ECU is place in the engine bay. thats why it quit on me in the first place. i was thinking of moving it to go under my seat. i recently insolated them so it would work great.

thanx

adam

We really need to know what engine and what ECU you are talking about i.e. is it a Td5 (probably not if ECU is in engine bay as it should be under the seat) or a 3.9 V8 or something else entirely? I can't think of a Defender with the engine ECU in the engine bay offhand :unsure:

R514464-91.jpg

RS Stock no. 494-714

Or for more extreme protection:

R561628-03.jpg

Beware though, this stuff will seep out during curing through surprisingly small holes :rolleyes: and it does kinda render the ECU trash if it ever goes wrong 'cos you're not getting in there with a soldering iron any time soon :D

That said, both of those should increase reliability as they will help conduct heat, reduce vibration and keep moisture at bay.

• 3 weeks later...

i have a 1997 Defender 90 LE edition. the ECU is inside the engine bay. i have a V8 4.0 Liter engine. , i was windering if there was an extension kit for this ecu, so that i can mount it inside under the seat. i went to the SIMTEK site, and when i went to the ECU section it said it was "under construction"

any more help would be appreciated

adam