D1 Dashboard curl.. replace or repair...

Maverik

Hi People, got a quesiton with regard to curling dashboards...

I've read a few posts on veruous forums regarding this problem and I'm not sure which way to go, the dah on my 94 trucks is almost curling back on itself now and the front bit above the center console has started to creap back too... question is, is a repair kit worth it or should I hunt around and find a new dashboard complete? - if repair, can it be done in situe? the curling bit it pretty strong pushing upwards...

Cheers

Mav

• 2 weeks later...

Went for the "repair" option in the end... 2 hrs later its fitted, "faff" is an understatment, it was a complete ball ache with lots of swearing a grunting! - I ended up melting pilot holes with a bit of welding wire into the black plastic top, its ok, a huge improvment on what it looked like before and definetely beats ripping the dash out...

Cheers for the advice chaps.

Hi Maverik where did you get the repair kit from as I need to do my Disco 1 soon did you use this one on e-bay http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649 or from another source

Yeah got it off ebay, quite simple piece of moulded plastic, and some long self tapper type screws, I did debate on just making up a piece of Alu strip to do the same job, but this does look relativly neat.

You can change a dash in comfortably less than a day - I did mine years ago in my old 96 V8 and with an early start I had it out by lunchtime :)

It's actually quite an interesting project...

Hmm with the weatehr like it is I'm kinda runnig out of days to do it so went for the repair... it would actuall have to be longer as i needed to remove the new dash from the other disco too... :)

HI GUYS

for future use, if anyone has to fit one of the dashboard kits, what to do is use a small power driver with a flexi extension.

this will spin the screws fast enough to heat the plastic and cut through. Also lets you get the screws in between the binnacle and the windscreen. easy job and worth every penny. And don't wait till your dash is 2 inches above the frame

cheers

Jim A

------------------------

1996 300Tdi auto(Jap reimport)

HI GUYS

for future use, if anyone has to fit one of the dashboard kits, what to do is use a small power driver with a flexi extension.

this will spin the screws fast enough to heat the plastic and cut through. Also lets you get the screws in between the binnacle and the windscreen. easy job and worth every penny. And don't wait till your dash is 2 inches above the frame

cheers

Jim A

------------------------

1996 300Tdi auto(Jap reimport)

Yeah i think that was the problem here, as the truck had been standing for over 3 years and the dash was almost rolling back on itsself... made the job a complete pain as you where fighting the thing down at the same time.