Head Gasket

ltwt1981

I'm told the gasket delaminates at the silicone over time, it would seem to be a gasket design problem as I know there are at least three types in existance over the years, I thought the latest was better, but have been told there is a new one out.

Just thought I'd ask.

I race with the PTP head and gaskit + new locator steel (I think) luggs

Never had gaskit issues even when I forgot to replace the water cap on one lap and the engine lost 2 liters of water after a 8mile radnor stage.

The gaskit and locator bits are not much more expensive that the Gen part ones....

• 2 weeks later...

there was an article in EMG (enjoying MG) a month or two ago about K-series headgaskets & why they go. anyone want me to find & scan it?

i seem to remember the basic answer was the studs contract less than the block in the cold so the clamping pressure on the headgasket is way below spec when the engine is cold. hence more headgaskets go in the winter?

of course it was all based on the MGF & the smaller saloons/hatches made till recently but i guess it cant be that different?

kick me with a pm if you want that article, i dont visit the hippo section much as nothing happens here! :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

more info on the K-series in this months MGOC mag. they are talking about cures for the HG failures now, it would appear the modified gasket & step that LR produce for the freebie is the best way forward. they recommend it for any k-series engine (although LR say it should help but dont take our word for it). the other suggestion is the later (1999> i think) engines have the thermostat centraly fitted which improves the balance of heat across the heat. according to them the failrue rate with both of these things fitted is much much lower.

there is a lot of people now looking at k-series engines to put in old mgs so they have started to research the problems with the engine quite well by now. i hate to say it but its starting to sound like LR cured the problem best.

The latest CHG sold by Land Rover is of the MLS (multilayer steel) type, and comes with a seperate steel shim which fits between the head gasket and the head, to stop the bore eyelets eating their way into the cheese-soft heads.

yep thats what EMG said, the shim is coated with something to attach it to the head as well if i remember rightly.

the step i mentioned fits in the sump & its where the through bolts screw into, LR now do a stiffer one to prevent movement of the head, along with the fact that they changed the locating dowels from nylon to steel a few years ago as well.

Amateur :P

I got 2 words past that :ph34r:

I think he means its made of plastic so it will probably still leak even though the book says it won't :unsure:

hey im still on my 1st LR im doing my best! seem to be collecting british bodged carp though, currently on two brit cars & seriously considering a third - help nurse i need more pills :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

I just finished a head gasket failure on an MGF VVC. The head had to have 6-thou removed to restore the gasket face. The new head gasket was the shim steel type, and still comes with two new dowels. You still have to be careful not to distort the bead of silicone though - so the new gasket is as fragile in application as the old composite one.

Les.