Q plates

best you apologise then Tony, I have never posted here before under any ID

I don't know you, you don't know me

What a friendly forum where one can see an interesting looking truck in a discussion about Q plates, take an interest, read a link you posted, and get acused of dual identities....I like it!

Surely that doesn't mean that the points rules don't still apply? That vehicle when it was adwarded a Q plate was for arguments sake a Rangie of some sort. If you then modify the chassis, change axles, engine, make a body out of tube etc you don't have enough points left to claim its the same vehicle and surely you have to SVA again?

In monocoque chassis type cars, the body is important and counts regarding the tests. In separate (land rover) type chassis situations the body doesn't mean anything. You can turn it into a big pink boob if you like - you might end up looking like a nipple, but it wont affect the test at all. :P Moglites panel body doesn't matter.

If you're going to ask about applying the rules, at least check what they are first. ;) (Disregard this if it was a general Q and not about Moglite in particular).

I don't think the addition of a cage is considered chassis modification.

It's not that he changed EVERYTHING and has no 'points' left. A lot of it is original.

Al. :)

Surely that doesn't mean that the points rules don't still apply? That vehicle when it was adwarded a Q plate was for arguments sake a Rangie of some sort. If you then modify the chassis, change axles, engine, make a body out of tube etc you don't have enough points left to claim its the same vehicle and surely you have to SVA again?

playing devils advocate - tell me where and what is recorded for a Q plate?

Im happy I just stick to my Series 2

Now just hang on a moment!!!!!

you have got my rag up now!

When did i imply that i was questioning Andy and the legal remifications of his Moglite?

I asked if... as he had just gone through the system if he would explain it to me! ... nothing more NOTHING less!!!

if i go OffT... I AM WRONG

if i go On T... i AM WRONG and to make matters worse i am accused of setting up a thread for the purpose of getting at Andy!!!!

When this forum was set up i was encouraged to come along ( and i quote) whatever imput i give was welcome????????????

well personally i think it is a valid question considering there is alot of build projects going on just lately, pitfuls to watch out for etc.

i see no need for people to get all het up about it. if its a problem that alot are facing then its good to discuss imo

Chill Pill Time :P FFS

Right Q Plates

SVA

Points system

Tin Of worms.

I wrote an article for one the LR mags a while back, this was the points system, and if you could have 8 then the original identity of the 4x4 was ok and you kept your plate

Q Plates are where you have REPLACED like for like a lot (ie its a rover V8 but not the right one cos that went bang) etc, OR you have built a 4x4 out of a selection of bought bits, although the 4x4 look ok points wise they are not the origional items etc

SVA is a stage further that comes into play when you F about with the chassis, and shortening it, cutting overhangs off, or reducing wheelbases means it scroes zero points.

SVA will give a Q plate to, but a Q plate really just says 2Odd" "Identifty unsure / unproven", and a Q plate has been around a long time, and was if you like a pre runner for SVA.

Some old RR and LR are Q plate too, for all sorts of reasons, bought never registered imports rebuilds etc Q plates are here and everywhere.

Andy has a Q plate, don't know the details and none of my business, but he does have a number of units Gearbox engine chassis etc which move to the points system, Bodywork is irrelevent as mentioned earlier.

Dependant on what you have, what you have done, and how you read the nightmare of rules is then a route you go, I doubt Andy absolutely needs an SVA its a huge change visually, but in real terms tubbe added to chassis (ok) and Potrals, less on points than some other look a like LRs

Mandy, unusual for you to post on topic, are you ill ? :lol:

Nige

Well HBR

you post 99% OT stuff then suddenly a very direct set of questions

related to a specific vehicle.

believe me I'm not the only one who thinks you were primed.

If your Rag is up I suggest you put it down again as I'm none to bothered either way as I like all can choose to not look at posts by any member.

best please yourself really

Tony

the above thoughs are my own and not related to the Forum that is LR4X4.COM

Am not going to get into a "disscussion" on open forum about this other then to say if as you say "we" can choose what to read or not to read.... why does it bother you and others so much?

:(

wish we had a crying smiley cause thats how i feel... but like you said

you aint bothered and thats what counts right?

yours truely HBR

who posts S***

I'm not prepared to discuss my interpretation of the rules on an open forum.

I'm happy

The DVLA are happy

Nothing is stolen

When did I ever say I didn't SVA it ?

Did anyone ever say agricultural - no !!

Complete picture - nah ;)

Nothing more to see here

wow this is a confusing thread for an afternoon after a long lunch!

no idea what is going on- but there are some interesting questions on here. Can't say i have any interest at all about whast Moglite has had to go through personally to get his car sorted- i kind of assume that if a chap can build a vehicle of that quality then he can manage to wade through a bit of government regulation!

Regardless of anything, I'd have said something like Andy's moglite I'd have thought would have been a pretty good case for being registered as an agricultural implement.

IIRC it is then immediately exempt from SVA, mot and road tax. You supposedly have to do less than 5 miles a week on the public highway (which is probably true in andy's case!) so i'd have thought it'd be perfect!

I've no idea if this is what Andy has done - but it seems like a sensable thing to do to me!

Jon