Starter Question # 2

tuko

My starter is in town getting rebuilt, but the guy wasn't very positive yesterday and I may not have it in my hands on Friday. Like I say before, I NEED it by Monday, and now possibly for Sunday evening. :o

So, going with Lars wrote earlier, just use the hand crank.

Ok,

I've started it that way before, so why not.....BUT, the starter is not on the motor right now, so what do I do with the cable that comes from the start solinoid? Do I just cover the end with insulated rubber for the time being or remove it completely? The ground is nothing, just bolt it elsewhere's on the motor.

Has anybody done this before and gotten away with it? Suggestions :unsure:

Todd.

If yours is the same as mine, the battery +ve and alternator cables are all on one stud on the starter motor. You'll need to connect these back together and insulate them to prevent shorting to earth.

This way you'll have a charging battery and provide the needed load to the alternator.

Other starter related cables can just be insulated and left, I'd say.

Lars,

Check that the starter is not used as a junction between battery and alternator. If so, I'd clean the ends and bolt all the cables together that are supposed to go onto the main pin of the starter. Then insluate it properly and secure it so it can't wave about, especially near the exhaust or prop shafts etc.

If you are going wading, you maybe need to think about blanking the hole into the bellhousing too?

Regards,

Actually guys,

there is only one cable on the stud, which comes from the start solinoid. The +VE from the battery goes to the solinoid.

BTW, I have a series 3 petrol motor. The Alt. is a 2M100.

Todd.

Well, you're safe then. Both the battery cable and the one from the alternator are already on the same post on the relay, right?

The cable to the starter will be energised only if you turn the key to the starting position. But for safety's sake, insulate the end.

Both the battery cable and the one from the alternator are already on the same post on the relay, right?

I don't know :blink:

It's p!ssing down rain at the moment and I'm not going to check :P

Tomorrow morning.

Todd.

I don't know :blink:

It's p!ssing down rain at the moment and I'm not going to check :P

Tomorrow morning.

Todd.

Hi Todd,

As has been said, the main positive which is now hanging free will only be live when the ignition key is held in the start position (against the tension of the spring in the ignition). However, for safety sake in case you forget and try to start, I would insulate it.

To start with the handle, just turn the ignition key until the charge and oil light are on. You may need a bit of choke when cold, and you may need a bit of fast idle when warm(first bit of choke) to start.

Regards,

Diff

If it's the standard inertia type petrol starter there is only one thick cable to it, from the solenoid. (Apart from maybe an earth braid)

All the connections to the rest of the vehicle come off the other terminal on the solenoid.

This wire is only live when the key is turned to the 'start' position, so if you just take the white/red wire off the solenoid and tape it up you will be ok. Also tie the dangly thick cable where it won't get trapped or burnt on the exhaust and so on.

If its the pre-engaged (diesel) type then the thick wire from the battery and a host of brown wires are connected together at the solenoid which is bolted to the motor.

In this case use a nut & setscrew to fasten them all together and insulate well, also tie away from harm.