Advice on car sale response... bit weird..

Maverik

Its not just me is it, this is rather dodge? - response from a guy who enquired about the car from advert on Gumtree...

"Thanks for the swift response and do as well advise on the least

amount you will like to give

it away as i am buying this for Dad and due to the nature of my job

and location...i will not

be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long

hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am

satisfied with it.

As for the payment..i can only pay via Bank Transfer or PayPal online

secure payment..

I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after

the payment have been

made ...so no shipping included and With the issue of my

details,transferring the name of

ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the courier

services company agent so you don't have to worry about that.

You can now send me your bank information or PayPal email like this

below so i can pay in

right away and also include your address in your reply.

Bank Account Name;

Bank Name :

Account Number:

Swift code:

Total Cost of the item.

Mobile Phone Number

Country

OR

PayPal Email Address

Full Name

All Total Cost

Contact Mobile Number

Country

If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on

to www.paypal.com and sign up its very easy... i would have loved to

talk to you on phone but i work mainly offshore, our phone is down on

the rig right now due to bad weather, for now we can only communicate

through the same mailing channel.

once i receive the details i will go ahead with the payment through

bank or PayPal and then i will contact my shipping company after you

get the payment. I will need your home address for the item to be

Picked Up by the Shipping Company..

Have a nice day.

"

I think I might be reporting this chap...

Mav

More than a "bit" dodgy.... it's someone trying to scam you without a doubt.

Seriously - seen a few of these now - don't reply, just ignore it and deal with someone who actually comes to see the vehicle in person and brings cash...

Couple more things, for future readers to look for:

The quality of language use at the start is markedly different from the end (different people wrote parts)

Writer talks about working long hours and finishes talking about being on an oil rig (inconsistent)

The off-shore angle is a copy and paste. I have seen that same text numerous times on everything from Craigs List to Gum Tree, eBay, TradeMe,...

I do work on an oil rig and the long hours is definate along with an often unknown schedule, in the middle of the North Sea at the moment.

Still sounds extremely dodgy to me, phones and internet are normally via the same connection so not likely (but not impossible) that somewhere will have internet access but no phones. Most places would work fast to get the phones back up as soon as possible. I often communicate with people and do business via e-mail due to the shifts worked and trying to get to the phone at specific times is often difficult depending on operations. Anything like this though at the very least I would get a friend to check the car out or one of the professional services like the AA, with no disrespect to the OP the buyer has know way of knowing if the description is carp and the car is really a pile of junk.

Seems very dodgy for any collection person to sign the V5 for a car, this is supposed to be signed in the sellers presence and for the seller to then post to the DVLA. If the buyer is commercial of the "we buy any car" type of people then it is reasonable for a collection driver to sign the trade part instead but for a private individual this is dodgy.

Still on thread but not landrover related,

I sold a huge fish tank via flea bay a few years back and the buyer worked for the admiralty (servicing navigation bouys) even though he was out at sea communications were very good. I was able to phone him and vice-versa we kept in contact through the auction until the final day to go he informed me that he would be at sea for at least a month after the auction ended..............

Here we go, I thought to myself got myself a time waster here. We kept in contact until he was back in the UK when he phoned to say he was on his way to collect. I can understand your concerns as all sorts of things were going through my head, but it must be hard from their end with all the scammers around.

Good choice on reporting them though as this does sound a bit dodgy to me too.

You can hear the Nigerian accent!

I would have some fun with them! There are lots of 'scam the scammer' 419 pages out there - with some fantastic reverse scams. Lots of fun to read, even better to have a go yourself!

Si

HAHAHA, you want to pose as me ;) - I went to the website Si was talking about... was tempted to do it, but I've really not got the time for writing bullsh*te just now. It just annoyed me to death! I just want the car SOLD!!! grr

This is my all time favorite reverse scam:

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Doesn't quite apply to your situation - but it gave me food for thought (and laughter).

Si

"MY CUP RUNNETH OVER!" - haha and thats from ebay... all these fancy paypal/ebay policies promising the world but when it hits the fan do they actually care...

Great story! and brilliant response from the "wider community".

Mav