O/T What to do with a new car and a new bike.

Les Henson

Saw this crash today. No-one injured, but the almost new VW has some rather expensive looking damage.

The almost equally new Z1000 was waiting to pull onto a roundabout and the old guy in the VW just set off and bashed straight into the back of the bike. No-one was hurt, but there's a few quids worth of repairs there.

med_gallery_2_28_526574.jpg

Les. :)

use the engine in a BEC :lol:

there was a z13 engine up for sale recently, bike done only 7 miles :o .... basically mechanic, shold I say ex-mechanic took it ofr a spin prior to owner picking it up and stacked it into a hedge.

but back to topic - I've seen some horrendouos driving of recenl by old duffers, trying to turn in the road that usually inevitbley involves driving over the pavement. there is pretty much good reason to have tests for anyone over 60+ IMO (in fact a test once every 5 years wouldn;t be a bad idea - and would be a goodf money spinner for the govt too. :ph34r: )

over here (Portugal) we had a few cases of older drivers entering the motorways on the wrong side and making several Kms before the police or other drivers were able to stop them. from what I can remember, "only" :o one or two cases resulted in people injured

i also believe that regular (every year, maybe) tests for older drivers should be mandatory. and on the first severe fault, their driver's license should be taken away

A very good freind of mine and Ali's had a issue

His mum in her sixties was shopping at the Local Super store in Wincherster and was walking away from the till when a 90yr old lady lost control of the car smashed through the store front windows and ran over my friends mum she was very luck to survive and still now needs constant care pritty much..

It demolished the store front as she had to get through the restrant first

The 90yr old said in the local paper it would not stop her from driving again...Winchester Police had other Ideas...she no longer has a licence

after this only a month later a very similar thing happend again......at the same store

Well the guy on the bike phoned me today. The old boy that was driving was taken ill late last night and is now in hospital. Apparently he has a heart condition and had an appointment for a CT scan at the Great Western Hospital next week. I would have thought that if someone had a heart condition or some other serious illnes - their license would be suspended at least temporarily. I think that someones ability to drive safely should be tested at certain ages. My dad has to get the ok to drive from his GP, but that's just a general medical check. Some people are genuinly too ill or senile to drive safely on the roads. Having a crash is somewhat too late to then revoke a license.

The fact that someone has been driving for 40 years is also no defence and shouldn't be a right to continue to do so.

Well the guy on the bike phoned me today. The old boy that was driving was taken ill late last night and is now in hospital. Apparently he has a heart condition and had an appointment for a CT scan at the Great Western Hospital next week. I would have thought that if someone had a heart condition or some other serious illnes - their license would be suspended at least temporarily. I think that someones ability to drive safely should be tested at certain ages. My dad has to get the ok to drive from his GP, but that's just a general medical check. Some people are genuinly too ill or senile to drive safely on the roads. Having a crash is somewhat too late to then revoke a license.

The fact that someone has been driving for 40 years is also no defence and shouldn't be a right to continue to do so.

Don't think the medical check means much - my grandfather passed his a few years ago despite being blind in one eye and not far off in the other... He certainly wouldn't have been able to pass the basic sight check for a driving test! Fortunately we managed to persuade him to stop driving anyway.

over here (Portugal) we had a few cases of older drivers entering the motorways on the wrong side and making several Kms before the police or other drivers were able to stop them. from what I can remember, "only" :o one or two cases resulted in people injured

Forget older drivers! I just got back from 2 weeks in the Algarve (Val do Lobo) and on any given night it could be tricky to decide whether Portugal was RHD or LHD with all the inebriated RHDrivers setting off on the "other" side of the road :o

When we lived in Switzerland, my wife's car was RHD and I recall one night driving it home alone from a dinner in some quiet village and getting about a kilometer down a divided dual carriageway before realizing as I came into a roundabout that this didn't like right at all... :huh:

Saw this crash today. No-one injured, but the almost new VW has some rather expensive looking damage.

The almost equally new Z1000 was waiting to pull onto a roundabout and the old guy in the VW just set off and bashed straight into the back of the bike. No-one was hurt, but there's a few quids worth of repairs there.

med_gallery_2_28_526574.jpg

This type of accident happens all the time. The age of the driver possibly had nothing to do with it.

Many a time I've been behind somebody coming up to a roundabout and judged it well clear enough for both me and the vehicle in front to pull into the roundabout only to find as I am about to press the gass the idiot in front has seen (or normally only thinks he has) something preventing him from pulling out.... he stops and luckily normally beacause I leave enough of a gap I do too.

Of course if I rear end them in that situation it will be my fault, but in the real world when most of us are just trying to make reasonable progress on the roads and others drive like hesitant indecisive slugs a lapse of concentration can have such consequences......

Bike are the main thing I give way to on Motorways as when there infront or once they have overtaken I can see them and no longer have to worry about which blind spot there in..

I have never been held up by proper bike (not mopeds) so why not let them by there happy to be given way to and I'm much happier when I can see them properly

Bike are the main thing I give way to on Motorways as when there infront or once they have overtaken I can see them and no longer have to worry about which blind spot there in..

I have never been held up by proper bike (not mopeds) so why not let them by there happy to be given way to and I'm much happier when I can see them properly

Thats why i've changed the stock exhaust on my Honda xr650R (650 4 stroke single scrambler/ desert racer) to a nigh on straight through pipe if ever i ride in town or traffic which is rare the noise and vibration alone of me coming or sitting idelling more than alerts everyone to my presence. 95% of the time passing slowly on the outside makes people think what the hell is that and then the give room to the near side!

Although disliked by neibours and illegal a very loud bike is safer! IMHO :D

I always found coppers and neighbours were ok with singles on race cans - great fun for setting off car alarms if you were in the mood ;)

Loud pipes save lives :i-m_so_happy: , despatching a new bike always meant "fruitying" up the pipe as a first job - makes a hell of a difference

I always found coppers and neighbours were ok with singles on race cans - great fun for setting off car alarms if you were in the mood ;)

Loud pipes save lives :i-m_so_happy: , despatching a new bike always meant "fruitying" up the pipe as a first job - makes a hell of a difference

Had a mate who had a Duke 750 Super sport. He went to get a better exhaust and found out he already had the best one he could get. But the funnest thing was he was a diver and used to leave for work at 5 in the morning and drive down three roads and you could still hear the bike. I lived with him and we lived in a house in Shirley and they were all terrace house streets. Must have woken everyone in all the streets :lol:

Had a mate who had a Duke 750 Super sport. He went to get a better exhaust and found out he already had the best one he could get. But the funnest thing was he was a diver and used to leave for work at 5 in the morning and drive down three roads and you could still hear the bike. I lived with him and we lived in a house in Shirley and they were all terrace house streets. Must have woken everyone in all the streets :lol:

I seem to remember that guy whilst living in Emsworth Road way back when!