Power steering problems

Hey guys I need your help I bought a 2000 freelander td4 Es I have noticed that when ur driving it the steering is fine and feels fine no stiffness at all when driving. It's only when the car was at idle the steering went really really heavy and it was like try to steer without the power steering when I looked at the power steering bottle it was below the min so I put some in but a bit too much in over the max line cos when I started it again and drove and did it all again the steering was still the same and when I looked at the bottle it had spilt some out over the top can anyone help cos this is really annoying me :/

PAS pump is on the drivers side of the engine as are other belt driven accessories like the Alternator, water pump, aircon pump. There is a single belt going around the pulleys for all the accessories and a tensioner that automatically keeps the appropriate tension on the belt. If the tensioner is stuffed or the belt too old, you may be getting slippage. Check the tech forum for details or download the RAVE manual.

Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi if the pas resoviour is at the correct level and with the engine on open the pas cap if u see lots of bubbles or foaming your pump as the culprit recommend changing the resoviour also as its the filter as well.

Hope this helps