Has anybody tried one of these? In Car Video Recorders A Black Box for Landrovers?

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/motorsports-car-camera-kits.htm?gclid=CLvs5OTLj7ECFRIjfAodlBo1NA

or the Halfords version

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_874581_langId_-1_categoryId_265853

they say:

"Did your insurance company ever asked what happened when that car collided with you? Did you ever had problems to proove the lights were still greeen when you crossed them? Thanks to the Pretigio HD Vehicle Camera, you can review exactly what happened with the ultimate traffic and in-car surveillance system. Whether you'd like to keep track of the people inside the car, or if you want to capture what happens on the road,"

DId it reduce your insurance premiums?

I've got a similar one to the Halfords in my LandRover , it works well and loop records or will do 6 hrs in HD , one for the back window is on the list . It would definately help if anything ever did happen that results in contact ...

cheers

Steveb

How does it work, are you obliged to give the recordings to the insurance company or police if in an accident?

What if you are in the wrong? Can you stay quiet, or do you have a duty to disclose?

G.

I haven't tried mine yet - only had it a few days , but others I know have similar say they are good . As a by-product it seems they show up live road side camera's at night as they are also working on infra-red

cheers

Steveb

I considered buying one on eBay which had a remote rear camera. Figured it would double as a reversing (trailer hitching) camera as well as a DVR. Didn't quite get around to buying one though, but it is on my radar if I can find a decent good value option.

Si

Errr not sure what maker , the packaging and booklet have no manuf. details anywhere but its the same sort of spec as the halfords one and was £40 from one of our steel delivery drivers ^_^ and came with a 16gb micro card in a SD card holder

sorry I can't provide more info

Steveb

• 4 months later...

I can recommend the Roadhawk. If you have two or more vehicles put a bracket on each windscreen and just clip the camera onto the bracket, plug into the cigarette lighter and away you go.

We have all had cars pull out in front of us and we have had to brake hard to avoid running into the back of them and the law says that if you do it must be your fault for driving too close! Wouldn't it be good to play back the video and show that the other driver was actually at fault! Why have the points taken off your licence when you can prove someone else was at fault?

Take a look at the Roadhawk website and they usually have a demonstration clip. Many of the amazing accidents you will have seen on You Tube have been filmed on Roadhawk cameras. Ever wondered how on earth an accident happened? Many a Roadhawk camera footage has explained exactly what happened. Many crash for cash scams have been smashed by video evidence from Roadhawk cameras.

I don't leave home without it!

Bob.

Several fleet operators fit these things as standard and get a reduced insurance rate, not sure if a discount would be possible with a private car though. Fleet vehicles are apparently targeted for staged crashes as they are sure to be insured, the last thing the criminals want is to stage a crash then find out the other drivers not insured!.

I fly out of Bristol regularly and the bus from the train station to the airport have them fitted (several covering all sides), spoke to the driver once and he reconded staged crashes used to be regular (cars will drive up the inside on a left turn and ram into the bus then claim the bus turned into them) but he had had several cases now where he pointed out the cameras and asked if they wanted to see the footage and the other driver legged it, then they just pass the footage to the police and insurers and let them deal with.

I'm watching this on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649 does the same job & has a SD card slot, it says it'll take a 32gb SD card.

Ralph that's the same one we use in the works vehicles. Daytime and street lit roads are fine, but as Steve B says it's not much use on dark and unlit roads. It can make out moving objects / which side of the road things are on/signs, but that's about all.

That said, for £20 I reckon they're spot on. In fact, the memory cards cost more than the cameras.

One benefit for us is, the cig lighters in our vehicles aren't permanent lives, they switch on when the vehicle doors are opened (and stay on whilst the ignition is on), then switch off about 5 mins after the vehicle is parked up.

So the camera's only record whilst the vehicle is in use, not filling the memory up with hours of parked up action !

For £20 I'd recommend them.

In the land of the most expensive defenders on planet earth, i've opted to use this http://www.blackvue.com.sg/hd-dr380.html

It's not the cheapest thing out in the market, but it provides decent recordings. It has a park mode, so it just sits there recording to RAM until the gyro encounters a trigger (impact), it then writes the previous 30sec and after 30sec to the card. that should be enough to get the guy that backed into your car. Has GPS co-ord, time stamp, speed traveled all recorded on the video. uses a 16GB microSD card.

Ralph that's the same one we use in the works vehicles. Daytime and street lit roads are fine, but as Steve B says it's not much use on dark and unlit roads. It can make out moving objects / which side of the road things are on/signs, but that's about all.

That said, for £20 I reckon they're spot on. In fact, the memory cards cost more than the cameras.

One benefit for us is, the cig lighters in our vehicles aren't permanent lives, they switch on when the vehicle doors are opened (and stay on whilst the ignition is on), then switch off about 5 mins after the vehicle is parked up.

So the camera's only record whilst the vehicle is in use, not filling the memory up with hours of parked up action !

For £20 I'd recommend them.

Thanks for the info, :i-m_so_happy:

I think you probably could get money off your insurance for having one fitted - i've seen adverts lately for (i think) confused.com that talk about a discount for having 'a device which measures how well you're driving' installed. Whatever that is; maybe some kind of acceloromiter?

I know in the U.S they've had a system whereby you get discounted premiums for having a camera installed for a good few years.

Seems like a good idea but my big-brother paranoia starts niggling at me...where will it end?!

Having said that, a personal installation that could be used at will sounds sensible