Ralph, have you ever ordered the camera that you were watching? If so, how is it and the video quality?

The recent video that I uploaded on youtube which I made with my pocket camera has got me looking for a cheap alternative to gopro's that does the same job. The camcorder that I've been wathing on eblag is this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-HD-720P-WATERPROOF-SPORTS-HELMET-OUTDOOR-CAMERA-MOTOR-CAR-DVR-DV-SPC-0782-/160997463240?pt=AU_Video_Cameras&hash=item257c3254c8

I've watched ellebarto video's on youtube, which is a guide for better video making while offroading.....excellent tips!

Is there anyone else that is using cheaper alternative video camcorders in their landy's? Any opinions, suggestions or tips?

Todd.

• 11 months later...

Dragging this back up.....

Bought a couple of cheapesse...carp really...........couldn't read a numberplate if your nose was smacked with it :lol:

I have recently done a huge amount of googling :moglite: (Its legal :P ) and bought one of these : http://www.carcamerachoices.co.uk/black_bullet_camera.html#sthash.w5RY5c6x.dpbs

For the money I am stunned, clear as in cystal and decent service and back up ...and UK based . it can do car saftey stuff (loop) or with 32GB card 8 hrs off road taping...

more than enough to have anyone you show loose the will to live - and ultra high definition too,........... its a true anorak outing here :P

If of use then simply buy one - stuuning definiition..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

I have a recommendation too! I bought a Mobius 1080P camera to fly on my Quadcopter. It is full 1080P resolution and in the latest firmware revision it has auto record on power on and loop recording for car DVR use. The camera is about the size of a matchbox (held on to the dash with Velcro in my case) and the quality, even at night is exceptionally good.

I'd bought a couple of the specific car DVR's but neither lasted very long. One described itself as HD, though at best it was only 720P and I suspect it was lower resolution, up-scaled.

Best review here:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/the-mobius-camera-the-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

Si

If you buy a cheap ebay special for your car, check what happens when you pull the power, or eject the card unexpectedly.

You'll feel a right dick if you have perfect video up to 30 seconds before the accident, then nothing...

I have a recommendation too! I bought a Mobius 1080P camera to fly on my Quadcopter. It is full 1080P resolution and in the latest firmware revision it has auto record on power on and loop recording for car DVR use. The camera is about the size of a matchbox (held on to the dash with Velcro in my case) and the quality, even at night is exceptionally good.

I'd bought a couple of the specific car DVR's but neither lasted very long. One described itself as HD, though at best it was only 720P and I suspect it was lower resolution, up-scaled.

Best review here:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/the-mobius-camera-the-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

Si

Now that one looks good to ..... Have you been using it in the car as well? If so what sort of distance do you think a nmber plate is readable on it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I've fitted the Mobius actioncam that SimonR mentioned.

The kit cost me a little over 40 quid delivered and I already had a micro sd card from a previous camera.

It's a tiny camera with no screen, the kit I bought came with a cradle with a 1/4" threaded insert in it so will mount using standard camera brackets if you want. Also included was a slab of velcro so you could stick it anywhere you wished and a break out cable for video/audio out and 5v power.

post-25689-0-40688200-1400011241_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-73864300-1400011266_thumb.jpg

I didn't like the idea of using velcro to mount the camera so I found a bit of 1mm aluminium and hit with a hammer a few times to make a little bracket. It's mounted on one of the sun visor mounting screws and still allows the sun visor to be used properly.

post-25689-0-61206900-1400011677_thumb.jpg

The camera needs a 5v supply so I bought one of the LM2596 little regulators for 2 quid and wired the power through that.

post-25689-0-31191200-1400011937_thumb.jpg

I also wired the video out via the reversing camera screen I have in the car but you don't need to do that.

If you want to change any settings on the camera you need to connect it to a pc and use some software on the pc where you can change anything you like.

The video quality is very good, I've uploaded some to youtube (make sure you are watching it with quality set to 1080p, you need to actually watch it on the youtube site to be allowed the 1080p version) youtube has obviously processed this but it still looks very good.

Everything was bought via ebay.

The following link may show it at the higher quality ..... or maybe not

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=TMDcftRvEw0&vq=hd1080

Found a better way to show detail of the recordings.

In the following two pictures the main picture is a zoomed in section of the whole picture that is shown in the top left of the picture, the zoomed in section is represented by the white box. This is a nice feature of VLC media player that is hidden away and is pretty cool for checking these type of videos.

In both pictures my car is moving.

Picture 1 zoom of stationary car

post-25689-0-47988900-1400060182_thumb.jpg

Picture 2 zoom of car approaching me.

post-25689-0-75734400-1400060170_thumb.jpg

Dear Oakmaster,

Why have you got it?

Did you say yes to having one fitted when to renewed your insurance?

If you said yes, then you have to fit it because you most probably received a discount because you agreed to use it.

If you did and dont fit it, FRAUD.

Nick, Nick etc.

If its a Roadhawk camera, these are excellent.

From knowledge most Police services nationwide use them in their responce vehicles and have excellent HD quality, hence they use them and are that good they use the digital images captured as evidence in court.

If you are using one they are good and bad.

It will capture your every move including others driving badly and your reactions to them.

Dont forget it most probably has audio activated as well so it will record your voice, passengers and most of the time whats happening outside the vehicle!!!!

BIG BROTHERS WATCHING

.....Dont forget it most probably has audio activated as well so it will record your voice, passengers and most of the time whats happening outside the vehicle!.....

Great for solving arguments between myself and the back-seat/co driver ;)

I'm amazed by the range of prices for dashcams, seems you can spend from 40 - 250 quid for one and have good quality video from them all (there are also quite a few in that price range with rubbish video quality). The main differences seem to be in whether or not it has GPS, a screen and the mounting options.

If you buy a Mobius camera - one thing to watch out for!

I had mine sat on top of the dash - and found one day it was not recording! However the next morning - it was fine. It seems that in direct sunlight (and it was a hot day) on a black dashboard, it was getting cooked! The case already has two metal pads which act as a heat-sink - ant these were VERY hot.

I moved it to the top of the screen, out of direct sunlight - and it's been fine since.

As Barry's footage shows, particularly the photos, the quality is hard to beat!

I think the only real step up I've seen in quality is my GoPro Hero3 Black - which is unbelievably good. It can shoot in 4k Ultra High Definition at 15fps & 2.7k at 30fps - but probably too much of a theft target in itself to leave on my dash!

• Like 1

If its a Roadhawk camera, these are excellent.

They look pretty good from what I've found on line. A few people have said though that the field of view is so wide that even the HD version struggles to make out number plates. However - it will also give you a more similar view to what you can actually see out the windscreen. Useful if something happens more to the side than directly in front.

I like the fact it has no screen. I had to stick tape over one of the Chinese ones as it was so distracting at night!

Si

You can change the Mobius cameras lens for pretty much any cctv lens so if you want a wider angle lens you should be able to find one. Although you'll probably want to find one with an IR cut filter or your colours will be a bit strange.

• Like 1