ZF Auto ?

Les Brock

Hi Chaps,

couple quick questions

Which pipe on the box is the flow and return to the oil cooler ?

Side =

Bottom =

Gearbox Oil cooler pipe thread size ?( the internal thread on the gearbox )

Ta !

:i-m_so_happy:

Various threads have answered this before

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=70682#entry603458

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=70732&hl=

The answer is M16 fine (1.5) male or M18 fine (1.5) male depending on the autobox (this is not the size of the reducer that connects to the pipes)

And

And out is on the side of the box after it has done it's work and the hottest, in is on the bottom of the box and is just a return to sump.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply, nope - no filter, using a 395mm Laminova water to oil cooler, water connection to be in series with the heater, with the restrictor in the laminova with the tiny hole in the inner core so the flow is pushed to the outside.( I have the other more open one as well)

I have had one oil line made longer just in case I need to introduce a 2nd air to water cooler if it wont cope with the reduced waterflow/load ;) Ideally I wanted it in the bottom hose but no real easy way of acheiving this <_<

Temp sender in the sump to keep a eye on it :)

Hopefully it will be suffiecient...............

Hi Laminova's are great if expensive, I run my ZF and 3.9 V8 with Laminova but fitted in the main radiator return with no restrictor, so it sees the coldest water (in competition water is around around 83-87C) and under heavy load the autobox peaks occasionally at 102C but quickly cools in Neutral.

My brother runs his instead of his heater on 300tdi and sees similar peaks.

• 2 weeks later...

i run a laminova in the heater pipes with a full flow restricter. Works ok but does get hot running 35s in a comp (TGV engine) have fitted a disco std air/oil cooler in line with it and no probs now.