Removal of the EGR on a 300TDi

Les Henson

The black mess you see in the picture chokes the engine - making it gutless unless you clean it out, which is a very messy job, and involves removal of the inlet manifold and flushing it through with petrol or similar.

Les. :)

Cheers Les. I guessued that bit. :rolleyes:

My well hidden question was.. Is that caused by removing the EGR or by not removing the EGR? :D

Ta

Mark

It is caused by an EGR system that isn't working properly. Which is most of them after about 2 or 3 years, and probably all of them on anything 8 or 10 years old.

The valves jam open and the engine is breathing its own fumes all the time which means poorly burned fuel which means soot which means carp in the intake which means poorly burned fuel which means soot which means ... you get the idea :)

Take the EGR off and blank off the pipes, that means the engine runs on fresh air. Engines are like humans, they like fresh air and don't like running on their own exhaust ;)

Thankee muchlee mister!

I now understand what 'The Great Henson' was on about...

So..... on a 120k 300tdi, is it worth getting it cleaned out and EGR blanked - or is it best not to meddle?

I seem to remember an emisions issue when it was discussed previously as well.. ?!?!?

Thanks in advance

Mark

So..... on a 120k 300tdi, is it worth getting it cleaned out and EGR blanked

Yes :)

Everything I have ever seen from people who have been concerned about MOT failure after having their EGR blanked off, suggests that it has never been a problem. I don't have direct experience of emissions tests as we don't have any of that eco-mental cr*p in this part of the world, we just have lots of wind, not many vehicles and 13000 miles of sea downwind, seems to do the trick ;)

Yes :)

Everything I have ever seen from people who have been concerned about MOT failure after having their EGR blanked off, suggests that it has never been a problem. I don't have direct experience of emissions tests as we don't have any of that eco-mental cr*p in this part of the world, we just have lots of wind, not many vehicles and 13000 miles of sea downwind, seems to do the trick ;)

Given that its my Disco that Les has shown here I am interested to know the part number of the blanking plate which i will order & fit asap. The vehicle has only done 75k miles so one with 120k on the clock could be even more clogged up.

Nigel

im told the shape of the blanking plate so simple its easily made from a coke can or similar. ive got a 200tdi so dont have to worry about such things :D

So what is a ball park figure for having the inlet manifold cleaned up and EGR blanked off?? :blink:

Just in case I come into some money... :ph34r:

Doyley,

At the basic level its an easy DIY job which is take the intake plumbing and intercooler off, flush it out with a suitable solvent, dry out thoroughly and refit. All you need is tools some solvent and preferably an air compressor to blow everything through with afterwards. The inlet manifold, if it looks like that one above, may also need taking off in which case you'll need to change the manifold gasket. If it is really bad and the ports in the head are bunged up with carp, it may be a bigger job...

There are basically two bits to blank off, the EGR valve on the exhaust manifold and the pipe where it feeds in to the intake just before the inlet manifold. The best (neatest) solution to the latter part is to buy a non EGR top intercooler hose but the other way is to crimp the little intake pipe flat in a vice, fold it over and solder it or braze it shut (you probably don't even have to do this last bit a crimp may well be fine). As for the valve - well you can either take it off completely (2 screws - sometimes Allen headed ones - which will usually put up a fight) and fit the blanking plate as fitted to non EGR vehicles.

The cheap method is to make a thinner bit of plate to fit between the manifold and the valve to stop the gas flow, which has much the same effect, then you don't need to do the other bit as it effectively just stops the gas flow. I've also heard of ball bearings being jammed into the pipes etc but this isn't something I've tried. If it were mine I'd buy the blanking plate for the exhaust manifold, a new intake hose for the intercooler to inlet manifold. This would allow revenge to be wreaked upon the EGR valve with a hammer before depositing it in the bin ;)

There is also some electrical garbage on the injector pump but this can be left in place, it doesn't do anything apart from indicating throttle position to the EGR unit so that it closes the EGR valve when you press the throttle (or doesn't close it - leading to the mess shown above!)

Doyley,

At the basic level its an easy DIY job which is take the intake plumbing and intercooler off, flush it out with a suitable solvent, dry out thoroughly and refit. All you need is tools some solvent and preferably an air compressor to blow everything through with afterwards. The inlet manifold, if it looks like that one above, may also need taking off in which case you'll need to change the manifold gasket. If it is really bad and the ports in the head are bunged up with carp, it may be a bigger job...

There are basically two bits to blank off, the EGR valve on the exhaust manifold and the pipe where it feeds in to the intake just before the inlet manifold. The best (neatest) solution to the latter part is to buy a non EGR top intercooler hose but the other way is to crimp the little intake pipe flat in a vice, fold it over and solder it or braze it shut (you probably don't even have to do this last bit a crimp may well be fine). As for the valve - well you can either take it off completely (2 screws - sometimes Allen headed ones - which will usually put up a fight) and fit the blanking plate as fitted to non EGR vehicles.

The cheap method is to make a thinner bit of plate to fit between the manifold and the valve to stop the gas flow, which has much the same effect, then you don't need to do the other bit as it effectively just stops the gas flow. I've also heard of ball bearings being jammed into the pipes etc but this isn't something I've tried. If it were mine I'd buy the blanking plate for the exhaust manifold, a new intake hose for the intercooler to inlet manifold. This would allow revenge to be wreaked upon the EGR valve with a hammer before depositing it in the bin ;)

There is also some electrical garbage on the injector pump but this can be left in place, it doesn't do anything apart from indicating throttle position to the EGR unit so that it closes the EGR valve when you press the throttle (or doesn't close it - leading to the mess shown above!)

what about a can of 10k Boost? would that help clean it up or just make it worse?

Nigel

Never tried 10K boost.... maybe?

Part numbers reqd for the "neat" version are:

1 x ERR4698 Plate turbocharger blanking

1 x ERR7173 Gasket turbocharger blanking

2 x SS108201 Screws

1 x ESR2263 Hose intercooler to inlet manifold, air

Personally I would not use the SS108201 allen screws I would use normal M8 bolts with a proper head, or better still stainless ones in case you ever need to take it off again maybe to fit one of these ;)

My 120,000 mile 300Tdi was worse than that, before I cleaned it all out and fitted a blanking plate.

IIRC the inlet manifold had a layer of black gunge about 8mm thick all over the inside of it. I also found that the inlet port diameter was considerably reduced due to a build up of muck in them.

Took a couple of hours to remove, clean and then refit everything.

I replaced my intercooler pipes with silicone ones which removed the pipe from the EGR to inlet manifold.

As said above purchased plate off eblag for a couple of quid.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

d00ds,

A friend of mine has a 1998 Jap import D1 with the EDC (?) he has removed the EGR as discussed and his MPG has dropped down to around about 20mpg so he put the EGR back in. There is obviously an EDC remao required or is there? Can someoneplease tell me the process on a later model D1 please?

toger,

Mine is also an EDC 300TDI although a bit older and I have no problem with mine.

how did he blank the egr off did he take it completely off and then replace the top intercooler to inlet rubber hose with one with no egr pipe on it, or did he insert the plate between the egr and the exhaust manifold?

Pete.

On mine I have completely removed the egr valve from the exhaust manifold and replaced the intercooler to inlet manifold pipe with a silicone hose (although i believe it is possible to get a normal rubber hose also). I found that I had to leave the solenoid that operates the EGR electrically connected but I have removed all the vacuum pipes from it. I will try and take some pics tonight and post them up showing what I have done.

doing either method I described previously should work I was just curious as to which way it was done and was then going to suggest trying the other method. ;)

HTH

Pete.

Same...

got a '97 300tdi auto (EDC/EGR)... removed the EGR, fitted non-EGR hoses. Never had any trouble,

Then I got an Allisport chip re-mapping and better intercooler... the disco is now so nice to drive... (I stopped getting scared when stopping at junctions... :D )