Removal of the EGR on a 300TDi

Les Henson

Right then here are some pics of my engine minus the EGR and the bits I took off.

car014.jpg

EGR valve removed from exhaust manifold.

car015.jpg

Top intercooler hose (cheap silicone ones from fleabay)

car016.jpg

EGR solenoid with pipe work removed but still connected electrically positioned on nearside inner wing by the air intake part of which is removed to take the photo.

egr002.jpg

The bits that were removed.

HTH :D

Pete.

editted to add the following.

just remembered that i blanked off the vacuum feed to the solenoid at the tee on the bulkhead (sorry no picture of that).

Going back to the post by BogMonster on the previous page, I am intrigued by the ftment og an EGT probe refered to in the posts from last year. I note that a few regulars have these fitted and wonder what I would need to buy and where to get it in order to fit one to my 200 tdi disco. I have full set of tap and dies.

I have tweeked the pump a little bit and upped the turbo boost (again only a bit) but have noticed recently, especially when towing up long hills that the engine "smells" hot. The temp gauge rarely goes above halfway (when I remember to turn on the leccie fan!).

• 2 months later...

just finished removing my egr valve finally, after 2 prvious attempts. first time just blocked the pipe after the valve wi a thin piece o metal. worked fine but looked a bugger. second time couldnt get those pesky allen screws undone for the life of me, and anyway had got a wrong blanking plate (td5 too small, my mistake ,oops, cant read) :unsure: this time follwed advice on here and after soaking with wd40 and going for a drive, then chapping gently with a chisel and medium persuader, they popped off just like that (well almost like that), only removing a small amount of skin from two of my knuckles in the process, bargain! :D looks much neater now with proper blanking plate and big gasket from famous four, v cheap, and a proper rubber intake hose from pegasus parts, v v cheap. nice 1 :D

We also remove EGR from TD5s. Remove the pipe thingy that runs around the front of the engine, fit a blanking plate (home-made) to the exhaust manifold, push a ball-bearing down the vacuum (or whatever) connection and unplug the electrics. The ECU is quite happy after this. But, like Steve in the Falklands, we don't have to worry about emission tests as there are no rules here either. And no MOT test, which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view.

We also remove EGR from TD5s. Remove the pipe thingy that runs around the front of the engine, fit a blanking plate (home-made) to the exhaust manifold, push a ball-bearing down the vacuum (or whatever) connection and unplug the electrics. The ECU is quite happy after this. But, like Steve in the Falklands, we don't have to worry about emission tests as there are no rules here either. And no MOT test, which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view.

I've done Td5s too but a bit differently. All I did was pull off the vacuum inlet to the EGR modulator (stupid buzzy thing on wing) and the pipe to the valve itself (the bit in the manifold) shove either a small bolt, or neater still a 3/16" blind pop rivet, into the end of the connectors, put a small cable tie round the rubber part of the connector to hold the rivet in place and then cable tie the pipes to the third one (which just feeds the breather filter). The electrics are still connected so no faults, but no vacuum to the valve means no EGR silliness as the valve stays closed, it can all stay in place :)

Note: you MUST block the vacuum feed otherwise the vacuum pump is sucking in air all the time and this does not improve the brakes :blink:

yep, i just stuck a bolt up the vacuum pipe and tucked it out of the way. sailed through it's emissions test at the mot with 132000 miles on the clock :D

We remove the pipe and fit a blanking plate because the pipes have a history of breaking off under the EGR valve. The pipe doesn't break, but the alloy connection into the EGR valve does. This causes major havoc with the exhaust gases melting the plastic cover and electrical wiring etc.

I make the blanking plates using an angle grinder and a drill. We have been meaning to have some laser cut.

I'm glad to see that it makes little or no effect to the emissions.

We remove the pipe and fit a blanking plate because the pipes have a history of breaking off under the EGR valve. The pipe doesn't break, but the alloy connection into the EGR valve does. This causes major havoc with the exhaust gases melting the plastic cover and electrical wiring etc.

Interesting ... I've never seen that here but I can see it would get a bit warm under there!

After following the thread , i decided to replace my brother 300's EGR valve and fit one of those thermo guages. ordered it from Thermo man too. took some 6 days to travel from Down under to the island of Malta.

The digital guage looks great during night driving !!!! :lol:

thanks for the very detailed topic.

I also have some pics to add to the ones you have about the dashboard fitting and wire routing , but here ISP connection is slow so it will take me some time to put them up.

thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

i have just unplugged mine - as I believe the solenoid is failed shut without power, so havent gone to the hassle of removing it unless someone knows otherwise.

But boy what a difference. At 1800-2800rpm when on full boost. i can really feel it pulling,

Worth doing.

i have just unplugged mine - as I believe the solenoid is failed shut without power, so havent gone to the hassle of removing it unless someone knows otherwise.

I would think that'll only work if your EGR valve hasn't failed yet? They seem to jam open rather than shut.

I would think that'll only work if your EGR valve hasn't failed yet? They seem to jam open rather than shut.

agreed, before i removed mine i took off the pipe from the egr to the intake and it was just puffin out smoke all the time, so got rid and then got rid of cat also for an even better improvement. next i'm gonna clean out the intercooler. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stage1v8/Tech...Intercooler.htm havent got round to doin my suspension yet though :mellow:

Hello everyone, this is my first post (reply) since joing the forum and I would just like to say that the technical info on here is outstanding but expensive as my

wallet is getting worried with all the extra mods to come.

Anyway the reason I'm posting here is I wanted to know if someone could tell me where to get a EGR bypass top hose for a 300Tdi (intercooler to inlet), I've seen the pic on this thread of the one I want and it suggests ebay, but even on there I cannot find one. The only ones that would do the job come in lengths of a metre but I haven't got any use for it as I'm already siliconed up everywhere elese (apart from the wife)

cheers lads

Rich

standard one is perfectly ok and far cheaper.

my TDI is running 18psi and was 21psi with standard tube work

never had any issues.

make sure you seal the tube that went to the large bore tube work from the airbox to the turbo around the basck of the engine as this is after the airfilter and any water getting in there is non stop to the engine.

I removed the entire set up wiring everything.