drum brake confusion (salisbury)

mot time and brakes were listed as spongy. So have gone in to check the rear cylinders and after much swearing we managed to get the drum off only to find the shoes pivot out???

Looking at the manual and the rear of the drum, I can't find the normal spring and pin that I would expect to hold the shoes level so that they dont constantly rub.

So how exactly should these work?

the return springs hook into the holes on the brake shoe central rib & fit between backplate & brake shoes.

the spring with short coils & long bar between fits in the upper holes & sits below wheel cylinder, the other long coil spring fits in lower holes above abutment plate.

OK, sorry western you've lost me. My shoes only have two springs on them at present. Will post pics in a sec what I did take earlier.

I would normally expect a pin to go through from the back of the drum, through the shoe and have a spring and retaining clip on it to hold the shoe in place.

At present I have a spring between the shoes at the top and a spring between the shoes at the bottom. That is all.

Should I have anything else? The shoes are pulled together by these two springs which are face mounted and thus pull the shoes together at an odd angle at the front. Has the previous owner forgotten a part here? Or should one of the springs be round the other way?

Rolling chassis was purchased with supposed refurbed axles so never looked at them really - other than fitting new track rod ends (boots had perished on the old ones). To be fair they are new drums, shoes and cylinders. Anyway, seems all my faults from the mot lie with these axles. Grrrr....

Magic, thanks ralph. Did try a google search with lr4x4 and the forum search but obviously was not using the right phrase. Answer is, the owner before me put the spring in back to front, however from the exploded parts diagram thats not exactly clear.

OK, sorted thanks once again to the board's knowledge. Never met any springs quite like those before mind. Alot of swearing to get the shoes in to the bottom. Also sorted out the wheel bearing at the same time :D two jobs done for the price of one (wouldnt have been able to swap shoes round without taking the wheel hub off).

my arm is still aching from fighting them... Amazingly, once the springs are on the right way round, you can adjust the brake shoes correctly :P Drivers side has been tightened one side at a time till lock, kick the pedal about a bit, then check, then back off a 1/8th of a turn till the wheel spins nicely.

I can still hear the pads rubbing slightly but wheel turns easily. Assume I'm doing the right thing as they are new, this should bed them in properly right?

I adjust mine roughly every 20,000 miles, and that's with drums all round on a 109, and have nice, sharp brakes. It doesn't need doing often unless you do a lot of off-roading, where dirt and water in the drums contaminate and abrade the pads and drums, needing cleaning out and adjustment far more frequently.