Help White smoke

Hi I would appreciate any views on my problem. Defender 90 300TDI 1996 Symtoms starts very easy,Fine on tick over,Go to rev up white smell of unburnt diesel smoke, Air roar from the snokel,Back to tick over runs fine,Let to warm up,Switch off,Restart puff of white smoke and all's fine for the rest of the day, Many Thanks in antiecipation Trevor

White smoke implies unburned fuel.

Could there be something in the snorkel that is periodically blocking the air-flow ??

That would cause it to smoke.

Does the problem happen with the snorkel disconnected?

--Tanuki

Hi I would appreciate any views on my problem. Defender 90 300TDI 1996 Symtoms starts very easy,Fine on tick over,Go to rev up white smell of unburnt diesel smoke, Air roar from the snokel,Back to tick over runs fine,Let to warm up,Switch off,Restart puff of white smoke and all's fine for the rest of the day, Many Thanks in antiecipation Trevor

Sounds just like my 1996 300tdi 110 with 306 000 kms on the clock. Engine overhaul will be required sometime. Possibly you should get the compressions checked - that will show if your engine is on its last legs or not.

Hi Had issues with White smoke about a year back after coming back from Billing , tried a few things, but turned out to be a fuel injector or injectors, changed all 4 and it cured the problem. Gaz.

My 300tdi white smokes for about the first mile of running and then its fine, does look bad on start up, head gasket was done along with timing.

Runs fine - I thought they all did that, pump tweak probably does not help.

Have you just got yours or has it just started doing this ?

Frax

My 300tdi white smokes for about the first mile of running and then its fine, does look bad on start up, head gasket was done along with timing.

Runs fine - I thought they all did that, pump tweak probably does not help.

Have you just got yours or has it just started doing this ?

Frax

The cause of your smoke is cold cylinders, my 200's the same.

Hi Guys Update the turbo makes a whistle sound with air intake off, sounds like a Supercharged Sports car turns heads (But thats not helping me with the problem).If I blow compressed air in the turbo intake puff of smoke and all's fine, run like a dream and starts all day long. Me thinks it's a air or Turbo issue.??

Sorry for the hijack, but it is related. I get increasing white-ish/pale blue smoke at idle; the longer it idles, the more smoke I get. It seems pretty clean at higher power, though, and a short drive will clear the idling smoke unless it idles for several more minutes. It is burning oil, and has done ever since I built the engine up - it had a recon head when I bought it, but I had the block rebored myself and had the injectors and pump overhaulled professionally. I suspect the valve guides and seals, given that oil consumption is also worst when idling or when the engine has been on the over--run for long periods. What do you lot think>

Sorry for the hijack, but it is related. I get increasing white-ish/pale blue smoke at idle; the longer it idles, the more smoke I get. It seems pretty clean at higher power, though, and a short drive will clear the idling smoke unless it idles for several more minutes. It is burning oil, and has done ever since I built the engine up - it had a recon head when I bought it, but I had the block rebored myself and had the injectors and pump overhaulled professionally. I suspect the valve guides and seals, given that oil consumption is also worst when idling or when the engine has been on the over--run for long periods. What do you lot think>

Stem seals.

The cause of your smoke is cold cylinders, my 200's the same.

I've been having the same lately, smokes heavily once when I'm at the end of the street, and then it's fine until the truck's been sitting still for a few hours (aka engine has cooled). It started after I did the timing belt a few weeks ago, the timing was spot-on, so I doubt that's the problem.

I also noticed it was hardly there when it was hot out.

I'm also having head gasket/cracked head/cracked block issues, so perhaps that has something to do with it, but still...

Hi the final update, and a big thanks to you all for your advice, Vulcan Bomber advice was spot on,The 90 degree hose bend from the Turbo to the intercooler had delaminated on the inside wall, a small hole in the outer wall let the air in between the two layers creating a balloon effect blocking off the air flow.That simple but so hard to detect. Bye the way the cost of the little bend £52 Regards Trevor