self leveling unit, repair??

NO, do not even think of or attempt to repair or try opening it, there is high pressure nitorgen gas inside, only fix is a full replacement or change to better rear springs [Td5]

the strut is now obsolete & very much doubt you'll find a new item, it's really expensive too around 900 quid when new.

http://www.brit-car....hp?xProd=102096

you might find a good used one on ebay but I doubt it, got rid of mine over 15 years ago from my '89 110CSW.

I got a replacement for about £90, it was NOS so they are around if you hunt. I didn't want stiffer springs so was determined to get a replacement. I forget where I sourced it. I'm sure I googled the part number

If you can get a replacement, I would!

Sure you can fit stiffer springs - but you end up with a harsh ride. I think the self leveling units were quite an inspired bit of design, better in many ways than air suspension.

I took mine off (my previous 110) and always regretted it!

Si

I’m converting my 110 van (HT) to a Station wagon, so I never had a self-leveller fitted. Rather than try to source one, I’ve fitted the later TD5-era ‘progressive’ springs, I.e. the standard LR fitment after they abandoned the self-leveller unit themselves. I can’t comment on the ride though, as my truck’s still in bits. However it might be the way to go to get you back on the round for minimal outlay. P/N RKB101111.

I don't know these units, but if the problem is that they contain nitrogen gas under high pressure, as well as hydraulic oil, then Pleiades repair similar units found as part of the suspension system on Citroen cars.

Whether they will be interested in expanding into 'other units' is something I leave to others to find out. It occurs to me you might need to find some broken units for them to destructively dismantle while they develop a process, but that is only my guess.

http://www.classiccarwebsite.com/pleiades gives contact details, but the actual pleiades website given is invalid. When the man answered the phone he explained he 'wasn't good at websites', so start with a phone call, if you want to take it further.

Good Luck

This reminds me that I keep planning to look at designing a mount to take an air spring to replace the Boge unit. It looks like it can be done.... Maybe this fall when I have some time to spare.

A good project for Simon. ;)

Interesting idea!

• 4 months later...

I don't know these units, but if the problem is that they contain nitrogen gas under high pressure, as well as hydraulic oil, then Pleiades repair similar units found as part of the suspension system on Citroen cars.

Whether they will be interested in expanding into 'other units' is something I leave to others to find out. It occurs to me you might need to find some broken units for them to destructively dismantle while they develop a process, but that is only my guess.

http://www.classiccarwebsite.com/pleiades gives contact details, but the actual pleiades website given is invalid. When the man answered the phone he explained he 'wasn't good at websites', so start with a phone call, if you want to take it further.

Good Luck

I was searching this morning to see if anyone offers a service to recon the self levellers and came across this thread. Do the self levellers have anything in common with the Toyota units? I was reading about the 'spheres' on the Toyotas and wondered if that was similar to the ball that sits at the back of our self levellers? Did anyone contact the Pleiades guy above? Bit more info on him here:

https://sites.google.com/site/pleiadessuspensionspheres/home/info

I'll try and give him a ring when I get a moment. I have a spare self leveller that could be inspected by someone who ows what they are doing with them.

I believe it's the Nitrogen reservoir so a pressurised container, I work with high pressure gases everyday, I wouldn't even think of trying to remove or open it.

Oh. I won't but there must be someone with the facilities/know how?

I rang Pleiades today, helpful guy there said they had not done one before but would have a look,

so I'm going to pack on up this weekend and send it to them, and see what they can do.

I havent had chance to ring this week, but that is good news, but i will - the more demand the better i suppose!

Had some spare time today, so I also gave pleiades a ring. I sent them a link to this thread, the sd1 thread mentioned a few years ago, and a copy of the relevant pages from the workshop manual. Let's see what they might come up with....

• Like 1