Rebuilding 2.5TD

No gasket shown or listed in any of the parts info I have for the 2.5 TD engine, only one for the 200tdi.

workshop book says, if there is a O ring seal fit a new one, on later engines with no O ring use a bead of Loctite 518 sealant 5.5mm wide x 0.25mm thick, it does give a full size bead pattern diagram to aid with the bead location on backplate.

No gasket shown or listed in any of the parts info I have for the 2.5 TD engine, only one for the 200tdi.

workshop book says, if there is a O ring seal fit a new one, on later engines with no O ring use a bead of Loctite 518 sealant 5.5mm wide x 0.25mm thick, it does give a full size bead pattern diagram to aid with the bead location on backplate.

Thank you! Sealant it will be then!

Hey Daan thanks for the comment. I've got both seals genuine landrover and aftermarket. Last time i replaced the seal with a aftermarket one and was still leaking. But the problem was probably caused by to much axial clearance. Because there is no gasket between the engine and flywheel house, i will use silicone seal. It's the red one that holds up to 400*C . Your idea is perfect with the gasket but i cant get it for tomorrow.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Monday is the next update with pica's

Thanx again,

Groeten uit Enschede

Good morning all. The engine is ready. A few small things need to be done. I'm happy that i'm this far. It was a lot of work and i must admit that i underestimated it. Here some photo's at some stages.

8853103.jpg

8853114.jpg

8853122.jpg

8853128.jpg

8853133.jpg

8853137.jpg

IMG-0099.jpg

8853166.jpg

8853174.jpg

How did you get it so clean - ultrasonic cleaner or something?

Nice workshop with the fire appliances in the background lol...

I wish we had a ultrasonic cleaner. All done by hand with a metal brush on a grinder and a lot of break cleaner ^_^ And the garage is great. Very happy with that :D

Small question! The cylinder head is skimmed. I was reading in a few topics about thicker gaskets. Do they also exist for a TD engine i can't find anything and is it necessary? The deck is not skimmed. For the replacement i used a after market standard metal gasket.

Actually, the question is do i need a thicker gasket because the head is skimmed in relation ship to the heat stress of the engine

yep, as I had the money available I chose a new 200tdi instead of spending lots on a engine rebuild that would need doing again a few years further on, my 200tdi has been much more reliable & miles better to drive/live with.

Is'nt this radiator smaller? Will it cool the engine enough?

That would be my question too. If you were worried about cooling capacity (which i would be with this engine), you could fit an M&D uprated 300tdi rad (it has an uprated core), that will in turn give you the space to fit a 'standard' intercooler next to it. They will do a 200tdi one if you send them the side tanks in the first place, but i'm not sure that is an issue as you would have to fabricate pipework for either.

I have a spare standard intercooler if you end up sourcing the bits seperatley. I also have an old rad, but it needs a re-core, so may be more hassle to you than its worth. In addition to those bits, you'll also need the frame that the whole lot fits in (i dont have one of those!).