Not a great day as they go...

Exmoor Beast

Had 2500 cakes to deliver to Wiltshire yesterday.

Should have left home by 4am but after being awake half the night I overslept and dived into the Mini at 5.30am to drive to the shop and collect the Discovery and trailer. Turned the Mini key and whh whh whhiirrr, nothing, tried and tried in vail until smoke poured from the bonnet. ARRGGHH.

dashed back indoors to get the 110 keys and explain to Lucy then set off leaving her marooned at our remote abode with no telephone or vehicle.

collected the Disco and trailer and set off. 2500 cakes are damned heavy so it wasn't rapid progress but with the quiet morning traffic I made good time. Soon hurtling along the M5 at a steady 60mph marvelling at how well the Disco was coping when we arrived at the split section SW of Gordano, its a long slog up and I wasn't shocked to see the temp climb towards the top of the hill. What I was shocked by was the loud POP and the sudden burst of steam that happened next!!! followed by a sudden drop on the temp gauge.

Pulled up and switched off convinced a hose had gone. Opened the bonnet hoping it was repairable. No sign of a busted hose but obviously there was no water anywhere in the system. Didn't have any water so callled the RAC. RAC man arrived and we filled the system only to see it pouring out the rear of the block. ARRGGHH core plug blown out!!!!

So Discovery recovered back to Exmoor and Lucy arrived 2 hours later with the 110 to carry on delivering cakes.

All went fine until we got half way home in the 110 and the clutch master cylinder decided to chuck the fluid all down my boots. Great.

So. Mini can wait. 110 is easy to fix. Disco? why did it go? any ideas? will pulling the engine out, replacing the plug and changing the thermostat/sender cure it? Head gasket maybe? its a new head?

Will :(

Ouch!

Three in one day? Pretty impressive performance! I'd give that an 8 out of 10. Would have scored more but no blood was let :P .

Sorry to hear that Will. I'll be down your way at the weekend if you fancy a conciliatory pint or two.. :blink:

Thanks for the replies folks.

Disco engine rebuilt a year ago, we have done probably 10k miles with no problems.

Plan is to replace core plug, take the head off and replace the gasket. new thermostat and sender and see what happens.

Bish beer sounds a fine idea

Will :)

So. Mini can wait. 110 is easy to fix. Disco? why did it go? any ideas? will pulling the engine out, replacing the plug and changing the thermostat/sender cure it? Head gasket maybe? its a new head?

Will :(

Will I don't think they always need a reason to go.

Your post reminded me of an experience I had in the late eighties whn I had an XR3i.

It was a lease car with about 5k on the clock when it happned, gently driving along the sea front at Saltburn-by-the-sea when without warning there was a huge plume of steam from under the bonnet, the temp gauge maxed and I quickly shut the engine off.

It too had popped a core plug.....

A tow to the nearest Ford garage who quickly and efficiently installed a replacment core plug and I never had any further problems..... can't see any reason why your situation will not be the same.

hmmmmmmm well one of the tips people used to give with highly tuned (basically race) A series engines in mini miglias was to drill and tap the block to take 3 small cap had screws adjacent to the core plugs such that their heads overlappend and prevented the core plugs from popping out.

Apparently its a well known problem!

Jon

Will, can I make you feel a bit better? After finding an empty parking space outside my flat, several phone calls to disagreeable people and a run across Bristol, I finally had to spend £250 to be able to see this:

310820061367-copy.jpg

which is my car being lowered back onto the road. I hate clampers.

I hate them too... been clamped twice but talked/conned my way out of the ticket both times. Got my car towed in Vancouver which was interesting. If the space was outside your flat, why can't you park there?

I can park outside my flat, I just need a permit from the company who own the block. Who won't answer their phone to tell me how to get one, but who will send their contractors to lift cars not displaying permits. A stern letter is on the way demanding the return of my money.

Good luck!! Pity it's not just a clamp - there are ways and means to remove those!!!