Defender 200tdi thermostat housing removal

I need to renew the gasket between the head and the thermostat housing on my defender 200tdi engine. Question is, is this removeable without removing the head or the timing chest? The bolts for the housing sit right behind the timing chest/waterpump and if they are too long, i guess i wont get it off without removing the head or timing chest.

I'm guessing head would be the easiest option if this is the case?

ok. the three bolts will loosen - i cracked them off whilst it was hot as i thought theyd be more likely to come undone like that. Unfortunately it was too hot to do anything else! So will have to leave it till cold. Question now is, is there enough room to undo them or are they so long that they will hit the back of the timing chest.....?

Right. The bolts are 3mm too long to come out with everything in place. Really silly!!!

I figured that the bit of the water pump/timing chest that they butt onto is where the bolts go through (so quite a meaty bit). The water pump bolts do not go all the way through that bit of the housing either. So......... a careful morning with a dremel, a file and my air cut off tool and i ground 1.5mm off of the back of the timing chest and the same off of the head of the bolts. The result was i got it out without removing the head (although it was tight at this stage). I then shortened the bolts by about 2mm as well. Then, they easily fitted in the space provided they were offered up inserted into the housing. Shortening them by 2mm hardly made any difference to the length that was inserted and now it means that this job can be repeated fairly easily, if need be, in the future.