Series 1 Brakes

stuck

Gent's currently stripping my '54 S1 & have just removed the master cylinder, pedals etc.

Compared to the 110 the original S1 system looks inadequate but then I doubt she will do the same kind of speeds or weigh in at 2 tonnes!

With everything working as it should how effective were the brakes on a S1?

I don't want to deviate from original by fitting a remote servo etc but I would like to be able to stop when I have to...

Planning on keeping engine etc original so no 'squirted V8 to worry about.

Cheers,

Mick.

they will lock the vehicle up quite happily. although it feels harder to press due to the lack of servo.

after the point where you can loch the vehicle up, the rest of it is up to the tyres really.

The S1 brakes were essentially the same as the standard system used on S3's up to 1980 - when various changes were made probably to reduce the number of variations available.

I'm driving a 1978 diesel with overdrive every day at the moment - and its brakes are fine. It does have a factory fitted servo which is nice - and is a split system which makes no difference to the performance.

If you've got a big engine then something better may be needed. A remote servo would be easy to add later. I'd leave the thing as standard and get the vehicle on the road and then see how I got on.

After all your S1 will produce 52 BHP - the S2 2.25 produced about 77 BHP which is about half as much again! Apart from new pedal linkage and a different (same size) master cylinder the braking system is the same.

Its very easy to get carried away with planned 'improvements' to old vehicles. Actually getting them rebuilt and working is a big enough challenge. Making changes often causes unexpected problems - install something non - standard and later you find something else doesn't fit for example.

Old vehicles worked nicely and reliably in their original spec.

Hi Mick,

Like I said at the time the best place to find out about the vehicle would be the Series 1 club's website.

You will find that things may not look up to scratch or inadequate but I will say that the brakes on my Series 1 are better than any other series i've driven - simply because they are as intended and put together right.

I would suggest you should try and be as faithful as possible - as from my past experience, modifying it will make it worse.

I used to work on a late series 1, a LWB powered by a 2286, and the brakes were fine. They were harder work than my late series 3, but entirely adequate.

G.

i used new old stock brake shoes from the good ole days. the type where you die if you breathe the dust in.

it seems the stuff they used to replace the asbestos with reduces the performance, increases the wear and makes them squeal more.

I like your style Mikey!

I'm sure this will get flamed but asbestos is seriously good as a friction liner or heat resistant material (until it kills a few people).

I work for a Canadian owned company & they can't understand why I spend thousands removing asbestos when they still produce the stuff!

its so much better than anything modern....

i once stated. "the only bad thing about the 70's was asbestos!" but even it has its uses where it is superior to modern materials. shame you will die if you sniff it!