our KOV effort.

moose

I have a thought it could be down to a blocked/blocking cone air filter on top of the snorkel (green cotton type) because it had 60 litres plus in a the start line, although i've not checked it yet but it drank fuel on last run.

Problem being if your behind another motor in the dust you could'nt see and all that is being sucked in the filter, i recon thats was the gonad dropped not swapping that on day two, but younlive and learn, and i'd put some airflow onto the rear rad, but hey ho it was never built for racing, in harmony with it's creator & owner, a leisure machine.

Cheers

Chris, I thought you did fantasticly well. Coming up the rocks at CP30 and 25 you looked so relaxed and made it look easy - much more so than some of the apparently better prepped trucks.

Si

Boothy - thank you for the recovery on the rock steps!

i know what you mean about air filters, ours was changed between each lap! we used a bit of fuel to - 30L a day......... (good old diesel) and even managed to get to 90deg C right at the end of the lap on the last few sprints. so pleased i had good cooling!

fueling via the megasquirt, this proved very expensive at 50 litres plus a lap (17 miles) but did keep it cooler a degree or two.

Thats about 1-2 mpg. Still good effort for getting out there and beat some very expensive cars.

daan

Thats about 1-2 mpg. Still good effort for getting out there and beat some very expensive cars.

daan

We completed all four laps and used approx 15 gallon of diesel in a 300 tdi, granted our times were slow in comparision and at the end of the third lap all the maintenance we had done was

Repair a mudflap

Top up the brake fluid

Change a hocky stick bush

The fourth lap was different and we had a few issues but just about managed to keep going with a few running repairs and limped home.

Our truck lacks power as we removed the intercooler to move the rad back to increase the approach angle which in turn means we do not have the power to spin the wheels and keep breaking half shafts, track rod ends etc.

We had four slow times which gave us 13th place and we are well chuffed with driving and finishing the course four times. I think we can safely say we was the slowest car at the event starting lap one 54 minutes after the first car but we made up ground on the starting times by simply finishing, lap two we was 32 mins after the first car, lap three we was 18 mins after the first car and lap four we was 10 mins after the first car.

Our truck is built for winch challenge and was out of its depth but managed to hold together and keep going. We had a good time and look forward to next year with a few more horses pulling or pushing the truck around.

Chris - we were the same 60L for the weekend.

Like Bob our truck is not really geared for this type of event. shocks being the main thing that would need sorting for next years.

we also has the aim of just finishing each lap and were no where near the quickest and had no intention of trying to be! we just wanted to finish. Bob was very unlucky on the last round which prob cost him 4 or so places.

our woes were a tyre and TRE on 1st lap which costs us 17mins to change plus then mean't we ended up queuing for 30-35mins on the rocks - got flustered and rolled it trying to over take which also didn't help.

2nd lap was better, last two laps we had no queuing and a no problems.

depending how fast you went determined the amount of damage.

we built the truck to be reliable and it was so we were happy.

overall aside from refixing mudguards and general maint we did the aforementioned tyre and TRE plus 1 shock and a steering box. plus the side window popped out 800m from the end of the last lap! To be fair the box which went in for the event was not right from the start and we changed it as a matter of course as it didnt seem happy. going back to the suppliers yesterday apparently they have had a run of faulty ones!!!

We completed all four laps and used approx 15 gallon of diesel in a 300 tdi

That is a really great result. There were a lots of teams just trying to complete 1 lap over the whole weekend.

When we saw some of the entrants and their trucks, we thought that we were going to get it handed to us and our aim was just not to come last...

Our time in the LCQ proved that we were off the pace of most and that was us pushing.

In the main event we just went as fast as we thought we could maintain a few driving errors on my part bent the steering and destroyed a tyre. My other error was not replacing the drive flange blots i knew these stretch over time, but forgot all about them until bang... a few simple mistakes and touch of bad luck took us out.

But on the hole I am really happy with my truck setup.

I don't have the time/money to make a purpose built rock crawler So if we get a chance to qualify again next year i would try and fit 37" tyres and if budget/time allows maybe retire the 200tdi... will we win err no but we might make 4 laps :)

James I have a few good images of you (inc your lie down) i will try and post tonight.

Paul

out of interest what makes an expensive car.

not sure I understand this question?

But since you ask, John sales, philon parpatos, the french buggy, Barrie Gee all have some pretty high dollar stuff on their cars, I am not sure how much work they sub out, but they all are pretty commited, money wise I reckon.

Not sure how much chris has spend, I imagine a good deal less, but he did beat them.

It is good to see that in this sport, you still can do well without spending a lot.

That was my point.

Daan

That is a really great result. There were a lots of teams just trying to complete 1 lap over the whole weekend.

When we saw some of the entrants and their trucks, we thought that we were going to get it handed to us and our aim was just not to come last...

Our time in the LCQ proved that we were off the pace of most and that was us pushing.

In the main event we just went as fast as we thought we could maintain a few driving errors on my part bent the steering and destroyed a tyre. My other error was not replacing the drive flange blots i knew these stretch over time, but forgot all about them until bang... a few simple mistakes and touch of bad luck took us out.

But on the hole I am really happy with my truck setup.

I don't have the time/money to make a purpose built rock crawler So if we get a chance to qualify again next year i would try and fit 37" tyres and if budget/time allows maybe retire the 200tdi... will we win err no but we might make 4 laps :)

James I have a few good images of you (inc your lie down) i will try and post tonight.

Paul

Out of interest, following from the breakages you had, what are you planning to do with your axles? going bigger on tyres is only going to make things harder on the diffs etc.

Daan

not sure I understand this question?

It is good to see that in this sport, you still can do well without spending a lot.

That was my point.

Daan

i wasn't trying to be funny was just curious as to what people consider alot on a comp car really. by the time you have done axles, diffs, tyres and rims you have already spent a fair whack. i expect most comp vehicles are around the 10k mark for retail prices.

i agree the vehicles you list have certainly had alot more spent on them.

i agree with your point entirely, looks at Treeblokes truck, if it hadn't broken a steering box on the last lap their result would of probably put them in front of the driving god.

Paul - what team no were you guys?

i wasn't trying to be funny was just curious as to what people consider alot on a comp car really. by the time you have done axles, diffs, tyres and rims you have already spent a fair whack. i expect most comp vehicles are around the 10k mark for retail prices.

i agree the vehicles you list have certainly had alot more spent on them.

i agree with your point entirely, looks at Treeblokes truck, if it hadn't broken a steering box on the last lap their result would of probably put them in front of the driving god.

Paul - what team no were you guys?

I imagine so, just a GP winch being 3.5K, a 10K car is cheap.

My 107 TD5 was build 4 years ago as a comp car only. It cost £8.5k including all fab work, the donor TD5 Disco 2, all the harnesses, seats, trutrac diffs and 10x terrain tyres. It did 2 years of comps with ARC and AWDC with not much more than maintenance costs - oh and a recon T Box.

When we did the XTC in 2010, I upgraded the car to cover the "challenge" aspect with mud terrains, 2x Goldfish winches and the ground anchor and put a VNT turbo on it.

For KOV, we spend over £2k in tyres, beadlock rims, BOWMOTOR on front winch, Ashcroft shafts front and rear, new wheel bearing units all round, new clutch, flywheel, alternator, rad and fuel press reg. All of this was put on the car to strengthen it AND replace knackered parts from the last 4 years comping.

I think this was an expensive truck for KOV but then I don't have twin GPs, ARBS and all the "CHALLENGE GEAR"!!! which if you build a challenge car are added as you get more into the sport. Spread over a couple of years, the cost is in perspective.

Sadly it will never do another "CHALLENGE " type event and all the special kit will be coming off when we go back to comp safari.

CHRIS BOWLER

Out of interest, following from the breakages you had, what are you planning to do with your axles? going bigger on tyres is only going to make things harder on the diffs etc.

Daan

On the rocks bigger tyres would in fact put less stress on the axles, as u can keep a steady speed and bounce over most things.

I am confidant i can avoid the breakages i had this time with out to much hassle :)

Our tyres measure approx 34" and performed realy well on the rocks, with a little more momentum we could have cleared some of the sections we winched on but having said that we was happy to winch the odd section to avoid the strain on the axles, swings and roundabouts. I think the most we winched was four times on lap one, on two of the laps we only winched twice.

I think if we sold out truck tomorrow we would be asking £8,000. and like James said without the steering box issue on the last lap or even just a little more power to push us along the miles of tracks we could easily have been 9th/10th.

Our luck was the fact other more expensive, powerfull and highly specked trucks broke while we fortunately kept going.