Range rover sport engine swap pics.

Deface

Hi all, just thought I would share with you some pics i have of what we have to do at my work when replacing and engine on a disco3/4 or a range rover sport.

Its a little different to my defender :lol:

Hopefully here are the pics.

post-8202-0-19417400-1343323391_thumb.jpg

post-8202-0-02094800-1343323006_thumb.jpg

post-8202-0-38083500-1343322933_thumb.jpg

We dont take the body off for clutches on the D3s its easy enough to do it without. You can do turbos without aswell but only on tdv6s. There not that bad to do really they are designed to come apart. We have probably done about 20 this year for engines, turbos and 1 for a sheared injection pump belt tensioner bolt. I blame it on those french engines :lol:

I presume you are replacing like with like? Has anyone stuck a Td5 in a RRS? (I like Td5's!)

Granted, it would still need the body removing to replace - but at least you would only have to do it once!

I've been keeping an eye out for a RRS with no engine / transmission to build an electric hybrid! Probably using another nasty French engine like a Peugeot 1.9 Diesel plus a Siemens 200 bhp electric drive.

Si

Yeh you can do it the normal way but its so awkward its not worth the hassle, we can usually get the body off in around 3 hours.

Yep. Chap who used to work for me did one and afterwards said that he'd take the body off next time!!

Yeh we are replacing like for like, i dont think anyone has tried putting a td5 in a rrs so I think you would be the first :lol: the hybrid idea sounds interesting though.

The main issues with replacing an engine with the body in situe is space around the bellhousing theres just no easy way of getting to the bell housing bolts, and ounce there undone theres not alot of room to get the engine out.

I kind of wanna get one runing with the body off and drive it, it would be like a tdv8 powered skateboard :lol:

speaking to an LR dealer near me he says they designed it so the body comes off easily, as it makes major engine work easier with nothing to get in the mechanics way. because the engine bay is so packed.

nice to see that LR are about the only car manufacturer these days to think about the mechanic.

French engines???? They are made in Fords Dagenham Diesel Centre. And the petrols are made in Fords Bridgend.

The engines are designed by psa just like the current 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0 diesel engines in fords line up. which coincidentally are also s**t.

It's quite shocking who psa managed to sell their engines into, mini, volvo and even toyota.