Clutch pedal sticking down!???

Hmmmpf having been away working for weeks I get home and the ol man has a mission to gather a friends non-road worthy caravan full of stuff using a 3.5t vehicle trailor. She started perfectly after sitting for 6 weeks which was good. Somewhere about 20 miles, after pushing the clutch down and lifting my foot the pedal stayed frimly stuck to the floor. Using the upper foot the pedal could be dislodged back up but this made for awkward gear changes. The pedal sounds pretty creaky but the clutch itself functions fine. I took to just depressing the clutch just past the engaged point but still annoying.

Sprayed some WD40 on the spring but hasn't done nought and if fully depressed will stay down. Any clues?

Ended up being a testing journey home with a poorly balasted old caravan ona havy trailor on the Cornish hills with a sticky clutch pedal.

Sounds to me like your master cylinder is shot, Is there the usual brake/clutch fluid in the footwell? If so this would confirm the master cylinder has gone or when you would be able to remove a wading plug from the bell housing(If you have one), Is there brake/clutch fluid leaking out of there If so that'll be the slave cylinder gone and to be honest If one goes then the other isn't that far behind and you're better off changing the both of them at the same time(for peace of mind if any thing) with either genuine or a good after market such as Bearmach etc-obviously stay away from Br****t as this'll cause you even more grief

This is a norm for a Land Rover they need to be used regularly so that they won't go and do things like this when you most need them

John

Could be the clutch pedal pivot is seizing up? Take the top cover of the clutch pedal box under the bonnet and get plenty of oil on the pivot pin and bushes. If it isn't the pedal pivot, it could be either the master cylinder, or the slave cylinder.

Regards,

Diff.

Is there a "squoink" noise??

If so then it is almost certainly the master cylinder, if not then pivot pint.

BTW if it is the master cylinder, then get a genuine one!

There is a squoink but surely if the master cyl was screwed then my clutch wouldn't work?

There is a squoink but surely if the master cyl was screwed then my clutch wouldn't work?

to me that would suggest pivot. however could be the master.

a screwed master could still work. i had a known screwed slave for a month, leaking etc, and one day, just as i pulled back into my yard with flatbed + TE20 on the back, it went PFFT. and dropped all its fluid on the spot..

I thought the "squoink" was normal LR clutch pedal operation - I think every Landie I've owned had it to a greater or lesser degree... :) Lubricating the pedal pivot doesn't seem to quieten things down for very long...