Backlash noise from rear axle?

Hi All,

I thought things were going too well.... :(

I am having what I think are back lash noises coming from the rear axle on my 200tdi 90.

The axles I think are from a TD5 however I don’t know if the donor vehicle was a Disco or Defender that was pre my ownership. The question is can the problem be fixed and how bad/difficult/expensive is it to rectify? Or is it a case of replacing the axle? :o

Cheers

J

Backlash could be many things, from just normal "Wear" to a diff(s) that have been set wrong on installation, to bearings

failing, to pinion height wrong (at setting) .

My guess will be a combination of Wear (miles) and tired bearings etc.

The answer is to either put up with it :D, get a better S/H Diff, or get a properly rebuilt unit / Upgrade

Yer pays yer money and all that - and no, not a DIY job, if you don't know what you are doing its like leveling a 3 legged chair

blindfolded with a blunt saw and someone tickling you without notice......

:)

Nige

Backlash could be many things, from just normal "Wear" to a diff(s) that have been set wrong on installation, to bearings

failing, to pinion height wrong (at setting) .

My guess will be a combination of Wear (miles) and tired bearings etc.

The answer is to either put up with it :D, get a better S/H Diff, or get a properly rebuilt unit / Upgrade

Yer pays yer money and all that - and no, not a DIY job, if you don't know what you are doing its like leveling a 3 legged chair

blindfolded with a blunt saw and someone tickling you without notice......

:)

Nige

I thought you were collecting broken diffs Nige? ;)

How do.

Could you elaborate on backlash noisy? backlash is imprtant when setting gears so they all have it - do you mean transmission noise, i.e. play when coming on and off the power?

Mav

Hi,

The noise is a minor clunk when changing gear and releasing the clutch if I am clumsy but that I know is partly me :rolleyes: .

The noise I am referring to is a sort of rumbling whirring rattle (difficult to explain) I thought it was my jate rings vibrating against the chassis at the rear to start with and the sound magnifying through the chassis section but no luck.

This happens when I come off the power and start to slow down; it seems to be worse sometimes than others.

Is backlash a sign of imminent failure or just an indicator of a worsening chronic problem?

If imminent could I fit a TD5 Disco rear axle as there seems to be a load of those about at reasonable money?

Cheers

J

Sounds to me like a pinon bearing problem... I've got a post on it somewhere, will see if I can find it. Have you felt for any laternal lay in the rear/front pinion flanges on the axles?

If it is that then its the diff that needs changing not the axle. - with age, your transmission does get "loose" meaning between all the linkages you get play - add up all the play between the splined joints and gears you can get a lot of noise and nasty slapping when changing gear etc, but noise is mainly due to bearing play !Unless! you have some gear damage in which case they whine all the time and get slouder the faster you go. Pinon bearings in my experience get noisier when there is a change of power, i.e clutch engagment/disengagment...

Found it: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=71797&hl=

Just for info,

Taken from wikipedia: Definition of Backlash.

"In mechanical engineering, backlash is the striking back of connected wheels in a piece of mechanism when pressure is applied. Another source defines it as the maximum distance through which one part of something can be moved without moving a connected part[1]. In the context of gears backlash, sometimes called lash or play, is clearance between mating components, or the amount of lost motion due to clearance or slackness when movement is reversed and contact is re-established. For example, in a pair of gears backlash is the amount of clearance between mated gear teeth.

Theoretically, the backlash should be zero, but in actual practice some backlash must be allowed to prevent jamming. It is unavoidable for nearly all reversing mechanical couplings, although its effects can be negated. Depending on the application it may or may not be desirable. Reasons for requiring backlash include allowing for lubrication, manufacturing errors, deflection under load and thermal expansion."

Sounds to me like a pinon bearing problem... I've got a post on it somewhere, will see if I can find it. Have you felt for any laternal lay in the rear/front pinion flanges on the axles?

If it is that then its the diff that needs changing not the axle. - with age, your transmission does get "loose" meaning between all the linkages you get play - add up all the play between the splined joints and gears you can get a lot of noise and nasty slapping when changing gear etc, but noise is mainly due to bearing play !Unless! you have some gear damage in which case they whine all the time and get slouder the faster you go. Pinon bearings in my experience get noisier when there is a change of power, i.e clutch engagment/disengagment...

Found it: http://forums.lr4x4....wtopic=71797=

Just for info,

Taken from wikipedia: Definition of Backlash.

"In mechanical engineering, backlash is the striking back of connected wheels in a piece of mechanism when pressure is applied. Another source defines it as the maximum distance through which one part of something can be moved without moving a connected part[1]. In the context of gears backlash, sometimes called lash or play, is clearance between mating components, or the amount of lost motion due to clearance or slackness when movement is reversed and contact is re-established. For example, in a pair of gears backlash is the amount of clearance between mated gear teeth.

Theoretically, the backlash should be zero, but in actual practice some backlash must be allowed to prevent jamming. It is unavoidable for nearly all reversing mechanical couplings, although its effects can be negated. Depending on the application it may or may not be desirable. Reasons for requiring backlash include allowing for lubrication, manufacturing errors, deflection under load and thermal expansion."

Thanks Mav,

How can I find out, any tell tale signs its the pinion bearing I could look for?

Cheers

J

Yeah, get under your truck, chock the wheels, out of gear and hand brake off. get a good location under the diff two hands on the pinion flange and try and see if there is any play in it? - i mean try give it a good shake... there will be a bit of rotational slack (this is the gear "backlash" a properly adjusted diff bearing will have no play in any other direction other than rotational, even the slightest little bit of play will cause bearing grumble. - my truck has a bit of a lift which increases the prop shaft angle which accentuates the issue and noise etc. As Ritchy says too, do the same on the prop too looking for play in UJ's and the center splines, in my experience UJ bearing failure causes vibration rather than bearing noise.

• 1 year later...

Im my experience, most Land Rover diffs have WAY too much backlash. Shouldn't ought to able to turn the pinion any more than 5mm on a diff this size, amd even that is starting to get a bit on the slack side, so I was told by an old guy I used to work with who had been rebuilding them (diffs in everything) since the dawn of time.

Not THAT difficult to do, just need the tools

And collapsible spacers are a waste of time, and are the cause of a LOT of problems of this type.