Disco 200 Tdi - Rear Wiper Operation

chopchop

My 1991 Discovery 200 Tdi has that godawful double-acting rear wiper switch - press for on, .... press again for off ... and with the delayed operation, you don't know if the bloody wiper's operating or not unless you spend your life looking in the rearview mirror.

Later models - even 200 TDis. I believe, have a different switch which has a permanent and distinct "on" position (button "in" for "on", out for "off").

Anyone know if by some simple method such as replacing the switch and maybe a relay, the later-type operation can be achieved, or is the whole wiring/control caboodle different?

How Land Rover ever evolved such a stupid on/off arrangement is beyond my comprehension. Oh. sorry, I forgot - it didn't "evolve" in Solihull, it just "happened"....

Any advice appreciated...

- Richard

Hmmm....

So none of you bright chaps/chapesses out there have a solution to this Solihull balls-up, do you?? :(

- Richard

PS - Fortunately, for most of the year here, there's very little rain.... Apart from the 14" of rain we had this June...!

Just as a matter of interest my late 1993 200TDI has the button that will stay in when pushed.... and that gives an initial three sweeps of the rear screen then a single sweep every 3 secs or so. Would it not be a case of just changing the switch??

David

According to Haynes manual early models don't come with the relay just the on/off switch which is wired straight to rear wiper motor. Later models 92-on but pre 95 came with 5pin relay which operates wash wipe as well. Both types of switches look like they are just ON/OFF type of switch with two wires at the back of it. One of the wires is 12v power supply from ignition switch via fuse to wiper switch the other wire becomes positive when wiper switch is pressed in ON position, then depending what year it is supplies power to relay or rear wiper motor. That's all I can see from wiring diagram.Greg

Surely the operation (1991) must be via a relay, as the switch is a spring-loaded one without an "on" detent position, in other words it doesn't have a permanent "on" position. Unless it was operated via a relay, surely the wipers wouldn't stay "on" until you press the switch again?

The rear "wash" switch, as you say, doesn't operate the rear wiper at all.

I reckon I might have a 5-pin relay kicking around (off a Metro fuse box) so i might see if it would work ... Is there any real risk of buggering anything up by doing so, other than blowing the odd fuse?

It would just be nice to have mine working like the 1992-on ones do!

- Richard

Surely the operation (1991) must be via a relay, as the switch is a spring-loaded one without an "on" detent position, in other words it doesn't have a permanent "on" position. Unless it was operated via a relay, surely the wipers wouldn't stay "on" until you press the switch again?

I'm only going from what I've seen in wiring diagram at the back of Haynes manual. If I can get my scanner to work I'll send you a copy of diagram listed in Haynes. Unfortunately I never seen the switch you have so can't comment on it's operation . I can only guess that it might be that although it returns to original position it can still act like a normal distinct ON/OFF switch.

But I do agree with you that if by chance your switch works on sending a pulse, it will have to have a relay for it to work. Or if it didn't have the relay it will only allow the rear wiper to come on momentarily [i.e.. one sweep and park] just like very disco described she has to hold her switch In for rear wipers to work.

Just had another thought. If your have got the relay and can check which side of relay is power from the switch then power from relay to rear wiper you could remove the relay and bridge the two wires toghever this will allow you to operate the wiper via switch. But the proper way of doing it would be to wire in a new relay using above wires so that the switch isn't put under too much stress. Greg.