Swivel rebuild - top pin/bearing?

Turbocharger

I'm contemplating a swivel rebuild this weekend, and I've read Les's excellent Tech archive run down. I've got 300Tdi axles on my Ninety, but I'm sure I remember doing this job before with a big Railko pin and cup arrangement in the top of the swivel, although that might have been on the original 1984 axles. Save me stripping it down then needing a return trip to the parts shop - which arrangements should 24-spline axles have?

Pics stolen from Les's thread, showing the 2x taper-roller bearing arrangement.

med_gallery_2_109_469260.jpg

med_gallery_2_109_1092500.jpg

When there's a conclusion to this, can we add it to the Tech thread? Les says that all axles are much the same in his text, but I don't think that's quite true for the top pin.

As I understand it, 24 spline axles, rear disc brakes and ventilated front discs with top & bottom roller bearings in the swivels, all arrived at the same time - late 200Tdi. (At least, that's the way it happened in Aust.) Before that it was Railko top bearing, solid front discs, rear drums and 10 spline front axles.

Paul :)

I don't think that's quite true for the top pin.

I've done a tech thread for the 300TDi hub assembly (twin taper roller pin bearings), and 200TDi 110 (railko top and taper roller bottom pin bearings) The title kinda gives it away - 'with the early railko-type bearing'

Both are in the archive.

Les.

My 300Tdi 90 has taper bearings top and bottom, 24 spline shafts both end. I did the swivels a few days after Les posted his post.

Front discs are solid unvented, IIRC 90 are unvented where as 110 are vented, more knowledgeable souls feel free to correct!

I'm about to do my older railko bush hub amongst other front axle fixes and mods.

The pins and the like are not expensive so I've now got a full set of spares ready to tackle the job and what I don't use will stay in my personal parts bin.

My front discs aren't ventilated - are 110s different from Ninetys? It sounds like I've got a pair of bearings in the axle then, but might need a bottom pin too - I wonder if Christian Autos do 'sale or return'?

Grease or oil - probably neither, it's not leaking at all...

Ah...forgot about the difference between 90s & 110s. :rolleyes: Sounds like the later 90s still made do with solid front discs like the early 110s.

Paul :)