Let the Oil Vs Grease Debate Continue

Bull Bar Cowboy

Tony.

That seal in the axle on the front ??

You said you'd had grease migrate to the diff. What would happen if you fit the seal the "wrong" way to try to stop the grease going into the diff but allowing the gear oil along the axle ???

Over to you

mike

YES !! England is a free country. As long as you do as you are told !

Mike

I could end up with full swivels and low level diff then :)

You can't win can you :D

At least you'll know if the swivels are full.......The swivel seals will leak. :unsure:

mike

YES !! England is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

I really don't get this part Will. Oil flows in and flows out of precision fitted components much better than any grease can, so how does using grease in place of lovely dripping wet oil prevent tight spots forming on CV joints ? Does this K7 grease have valve lapping paste as one of its key ingredients?

Just to add a bit more ballast to the oil team I'll suggest to anyone that cares to look at a bearing specification book and note the difference in load capacity of any bearings when lubed by oil or grease. The load rating is always appreciably higher when a bearing is lubricated in oil.

Bill.

Bill, sorry I'm jumping back in here. I'm really not sure either but I'm assuming they wouldn't reccomend it for nothing. Maybe ashtrans can throw some light on it?

Tony, yes, I heard all the CVs were pre packed now. However, that's only going to stay in there for a couple of oil changes if you use straight EP90.

The sucking out grease issue seems quite common (I also had this problem). I'm sure someone mentioned a while ago (it may have been in the LRE days) about some one who put breathers in the swivel housings. I can't remember the details but it wouldn't be too hard to drill and tap the top swivel pin to take a push fit connector with a breather.

Note:

I can categorically state Front brake discs are not the same as rear ones

the bell section being 10-15mm shorter

having rebuilt the entire front axle/oils seals etc to find the calipers won't fit back on

to find out those front brake discs I purchased are in fact rear ones.

signed cheesed off of Exmoor <_<

Ouch! :blink:

See what you need Tony is a nice RR with vented discs on the front, possibly with a nice V8 too. Then you'd certainly not mistake front discs for rear ones... :lol::lol:

My coat? Why thank you! Oh, my hat too!

So, I've been following this debate for some time & leaning towards the oil camp.

Can someone spell out for an idiot (me) which seals are to be left out.

It's just the FRC3099 on the inner side behind the stub axle right?

If i left out the FTC2793 on the hub, i presume i'd get a wet & slick driveway ;)